1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 393     0 

Toronto non-mall retail (Odds & Ends)

• Thread starter marksimpson7843
  • Start date
Temperance just west of Yonge.

mot1.jpg

Fresh & Wild at Av & Dav is closed and there's a sign saying they'll be opening in the Distillery District.

The Distillery location is open now and it looks good. It has a lot more space than the King West and Bloor West Village locations.

A slick-looking restaurant concept opened recently in the Annex:

dsc00905.jpg

Has anyone tried it out yet? If food tastes as good as the interior looks, it could be a franchise winner....

Meanwhile, I wonder if Dooneys is finished?

dsc00906x.jpg

(I checked out the original owners new spot on Brunswick Avenue: possibly the sexiest restaurant/supper club to hit the Annex area ever!...just in time for a recession....:()

Will Korean food (it's in Koreatown afterall) succeed where Thai and Mexican didn't after Mcdonald's vacated the space?
dsc00908.jpg

And a bit further west, another bbq chicken restaurant is opening soon:
dsc00920v.jpg

@Delaware, just north of Bloor, I spotted this coffee shop today tucked in behind the Ossington subway station. Is it new, or have I just noticed it? Cute.

dsc00943g.jpg

Near Dufferin, a new fish and chip shop opened--but it looks dirty already!:(
dsc00957u.jpg

At Lansdowne, Mercer Union's new gallery space is looking better:
dsc00959u.jpg

Here's what last Friday morning's fire damage (insurance scam?:p) did to the sushi and serbian restaurant near Bloor and Indian Rd:
dsc00970lch.jpg

(Not too damaged, thankfully--they don't make old buildings like these any more....)

Tim Hortons is nearly ready to open at Bloor and Indian Grove:
dsc00972o.jpg

I am wondering what development is going on this site at Bloor and the CN tracks? (The idiots that own the site knocked down a cute little structure/guard house on the corner.)
dsc00966b.jpg

Last edited:
At Lansdowne, Mercer Union's new gallery space is looking better:
dsc00959u.jpg

A cool goth club called The Anarchist's Cocktail was in that gorgeous building about 8 years ago. Too bad it didn't last, but then again this area isn't known for having any nightlife. It became a hideous, cruddy dollar store after for several years, which I'm relieved to see gone. A gallery space is opening here you say? That might finally be a sign of this grimy area turning around.

EQ3 has put up some signs in the old Hyde House location on King Street West. Not sure if they are just using the space for a clearance sale or for a permanent location.

A cool goth club called The Anarchist's Cocktail was in that gorgeous building about 8 years ago. Too bad it didn't last, but then again this area isn't known for having any nightlife. It became a hideous, cruddy dollar store after for several years, which I'm relieved to see gone. A gallery space is opening here you say? That might finally be a sign of this grimy area turning around.

Way before a goth club and a dollar store, that building was supposed to be a single screen cinema called the Academy. The cinema opened in 1934 till about 1965 under the B&F Theatres chain, a subsidiary of the Famous Players corporation.

Whewwww!

In other news, Reggie's Old Fashioned Sandwiches has opened on King St. West near Portland, next door to Craft Burger (which is busier than ever). They are open 24 hours, friendly staff and management, and I think they're still figuring out what works and what doesn't. It's a much larger space than Craft Burger (at this point I think they should trade spaces), and I think it'll become pretty popular, especially with the midday and late night crowds on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights.

EQ3 has put up some signs in the old Hyde House location on King Street West. Not sure if they are just using the space for a clearance sale or for a permanent location.

The latter. It's a temporary "EQ3 Last Call" location. One of the employees (manager?) told me they'll be there for two months. The store is full of heavily discounted items. If you've seen the Last Call store beneath the main EQ3 store at King & Sherbourne, it's the same type of stuff, just lots more of it. Plenty of couches and sectionals, bed frames, and various odds and ends. There are a lot of great deals, actually.

Last edited:

Back