1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 396     0 

Toronto non-mall retail (Odds & Ends)

• Thread starter marksimpson7843
  • Start date
What if the Bay stopped being a retailer and just became another brand? For example, HBC blankets and accessories sold at select shops--from Canadian Tire to Holt Renfrew?

Or, on the flipside, what if the Bay became a small boutique chain to sell HBC-branded wares--aka, like Sobey's Urban Fresh concept stores.

Last edited:
Anthropologie is opening its 2nd Toronto location at the new Shops at Don Mills. They will join Coach and other unannounced high-end retailers.

Don Mills and Lawrence is going to be the new Yorkville.

My hope is that Bonnie Brooks comes up with a coherent vision of what The Bay will be and actually implement it across the board.
I think her first task should be to fire all of the buyers currently employed by The Bay (especially the ones responsible for the awful men's department) and hire new ones. And rennovate* the tired interior of the flagship store. It feels like a Zellers.

I also like the idea of HBC-branded clothing, but I'd prefer to see something like a Brooks Brothers operation priced for mid-market. The current HBC clothing line is tourist trap garbage.

*By rennovate, I mean restore to its 1930s glam deco glory.

Last edited:
Spotted these Queen West stores for rent on Sunday (18 Jan 09.) What's the next big Toronto foodie trend? (Thai is clearly past its prime.)

DSC01172.jpg

DSC01161-1.jpg

Shirts

Mods,

Hope this post is ok, if not, please delete.

I've bought shirts from Camicie on Yonge st for a couple of years now and highly recommend them.

http://www.camicie.ca/

A nice selection of shirts made in Italy, dress and casual. Some of them have 2 and 3 button collars - these are taller/higher collars which flatter most wearers. Some shirts are darted in the body - slimmer - always a flattering look if you are athletically built - too late for me.:) The fabrics include herringbone weaves - ask for these - which cannot be found in any stores in Toronto except Holts - Holts charges plenty more.

The shirts are 2-300$, pricey, but not really 'cause I fell into the trap of buying a shirt at Winners or the Rosen Outlet every couple weeks which was ultimately unsatisfying, and more expensive.

The owner - Marco - will let you try on the shirts - don't go on day when you haven't bathed. Tell him Jeff sent you.

Mustapha dresses very smartly.

Don Cherry grumble grumble.

Back