1.7K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     1 

Toronto non-mall retail (Odds & Ends)

• Thread starter marksimpson7843
  • Start date
Both are businesses however.

Hmmm... I never thought of that.

Shoppers Drug Mart is doing well in Québec, so perhaps Jean Coutu has a chance in Ontario. Perhaps Jean Coutu will operate under a different name in Ontario, as they do in the US.

Ah that good ole UT sarcasm... beat by it again!

I guess I just don't really know what I'm talking about, so I'll just stop.

And both have the whole French/English thing happening, where Jean Coutu is a Quebec-centric thing, and Shoppers Drug Mart is a "rest of Canada" thing.

Well, no. Jean Coutu has been operating in Atlantic Canada for years now, so it's hardly Quebec-centric or excluded from the "rest of Canada".

I don't see Jean Coutu moving into Ontario unless they made an acquisition of an existing one. Rexall and Shoppers already have a significant grip on the market here, especially after Rexall acquired PharmaPlus. Not to mention Shoppers going on a wild expansion, especially in the Toronto area, that leaves little or no room for competition.

Rexall tried to move into Quebec by acquiring IDA, and they've been met with limited success as well.

Jean Coutu should pony up the cash and buy Rexall. It'd be an easy way to a number two position (though far behind SDM).

Wow, I didn't know Hy & Zels was around. There are still 7 stores, but they go by Pharmacy 1 now...

Guardian is a Rexall company. I don't know why Rexall goes by so many names...Rexall, PharmaPlus, Guardian, IDA, Medicine Shoppe.

Probably acquisitions. What confuses me is why they have Rexall, PharmaPlus, and then Rexall PharmaPlus locations. Why not just use one name and stick with it? The PharmaPlus near my house recently moved elsewhere in the same plaza and became Rexall PharmaPlus. But there are multiple PharmaPlus's nearby that are still just PharmaPlus.

Which reminds me, why is Staples Business Depot still Staples Business Depot? Why not just call it Staples? Yes, Business Depot was the Canadian chain that Staples bought, by why bother cobranding it like that? Just seems redundant.

At least in the Rexall Pharmaplus case, it's a matter of "transitioning"; eventually, they'll *all* be Rexall...

Europe Bound is coming to Queen and Parliament. The location is the former Pollock's fishing store is next to Marty Millionaire on the south side. They have purchased the building.

Which reminds me, why is Staples Business Depot still Staples Business Depot? Why not just call it Staples? Yes, Business Depot was the Canadian chain that Staples bought, by why bother cobranding it like that? Just seems redundant.

That bothers me too. And for that matter, why are there so many of them (240, I think I saw), while there's only 33 Office Depots (formerly Office Place) in Canada? I prefer Office Depot's layout so much more...

From: http://www.torontobusinesstimes.com/tbt/article/32749
_________
Canadian Tire opens new "urban" location

New store caters to the Beach-Riverdale customer

November 1, 2007 04:03 PM
JOANNA LAVOIE

You know you're in the Beach when a new Canadian Tire and the neighbouring stores in the same plaza are doggie-friendly.
The new big box store, which quietly opened to the public two weeks ahead of schedule on Oct. 4 at the corner of Leslie Street and Lake Shore Boulevard, is all about catering to the needs and lifestyles of Beach-Riverdale residents.

From an oversized bicycle department, to a shoe and apparel section and a significant lighting and home decor area featuring the new line of Debbie Travis furnishings, the new 70,000-square-foot Canadian Tire store is designed to meet the needs of the downtown Toronto shopper.

This new "urban" location also offers wider aisles, customer assistance pagers throughout the store and a prominent all-terrain vehicle and motorbike display. The new store also has an oversized pet section, a 7,000-square-foot rooftop garden centre as well as a demonstration area for a solar system available for purchasing.

The building itself meets the Toronto Green Development Standard as it was built with locally sourced, energy-efficient materials and operates with environmentally conscious and sustainable features such as special energy reducing lighting and ventilation systems among other things.

Owner Peter Oliver said his new store is no longer just a place for men to congregate on Saturday mornings.

"We are actually appealing to the females because they're the ones (who) usually make the decisions when it comes to big purchases," he said.

"It's good for families and kids and people can bring pets into the store."

To further enhance the shopping experience, Oliver has equipped each department with a computer station so customers can order larger items while they're shopping and pick them up on their way out.

With 483 parking spaces for the entire plaza, Oliver said his goal is to provide more staff members to help customers find what they need and get on with their day as quick as possible.

Canadian Tire's re-focus on the customer is bringing in more business as the average sales per customer is up by 35 per cent for Toronto shoppers, said Oliver while hosting media tour of his new store.

Another way the new area retailer is connecting with local shoppers is by supporting fundraisers and events.

"We definitely want to be a big part of the community," Oliver said, noting he's already sponsored a few school fundraisers and festivals.

Sticking to the traditional definition of the Canadian Tire Corporation store, the new east-end location still has tools, plumbing, auto parts, hockey equipment and tires, however they're now more strategically located within the two-level store.

"Generally speaking, the products and they way they're merchandised in the store is 20/20," said Mike Arnett, president, Canadian Tire retail, referring to the concept of increasing a store's retail footprint at the expense of backroom space to increase sales.

"The difference is that certain products and departments meet the needs of the community."

Arnett said site requirements and available space in the new store is another factor in its layout.

"The property costs more so we have less space and need more efficient use of that space."

With the next closest Canadian Tire location at Victoria Park Avenue and Main Street, Arnett said the new location offers a great opportunity to better service the area.

Canadian Tire will celebrate the grand opening of its new Lakeshore-Leslie location from Nov. 1 to 4 starting with extended hours and special promotions.

On Friday, Nov. 2 from 6 to 9 p.m., SpongeBob SquarePants and his friend Patrick will greet shoppers from 6 to 9 p.m. while Dora the Explorer and Diego from Go, Diego, Go! will meet customers from noon to 3 p.m. on Sunday, Nov. 4. Also on Nov.2, Debbie Travis will take part in an autograph signing at 7 p.m.

On Saturday, Nov. 3, The Philosopher Kings will perform live at 2 p.m.

On Sunday, Nov. 4, the Purina McCann dogs will give a demonstration of canine sports at 9 and 11 a.m. and 1 p.m.

Shoppers can also try their hand at filling their pockets with fistfuls of Canadian tire money that same day from noon to 6 p.m. as they step into the "money" machine for 20 seconds.

Fact check error! Markham Road and McNicoll is in Scarborough/Toronto, not Markham.

From: http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/news/toronto/story.html?id=0dd53234-1592-4e1b-93e4-c1011b292bc2
_________
$60M South Asian-themed mall to be built in Markham
Radhika Chary, National Post
Published: Saturday, November 03, 2007

A Markham developer will next month begin building a $60-million South Asian themed mall, in what will be the largest development of its kind in North America.
"It will be like Gerrard Bazaar but on a much larger scale," David Lam said. ''For me, this is a prime location for South Asians. There are temples, mosques and other places of worship in the vicinity. Many houses are being bought by South Asians and their numbers are growing.''
Mr. Lam, a seafood importer, had originally conceived a Chinese mall for the site, at McNicoll and Markham, but switched gears when the project did not take off and he saw a growing number of South Asians moving into the area.

South Asians form a large portion of immigrants to Canada; emigration from India alone accounts for 12% of all immigrants to Canada.
Modelled along the lines of the Pacific Mall, the 240,000-square-feet Sitara (The Star) will house 500 retail shops, restaurants, food court, a huge banquet and convention centre, a two-storey atrium for pop concerts, several patios and a 1,000-car park facility.
"Look at the history of the Chinese community and the growth of retail stores catering to their needs. The same is happening with South Asians now. There are some projections that by 2017, one out of every six Canadians will be of South Asian origin," he said.
Sitara will claim part of the building housing Lam's Tai Foong International Ltd.

Back