235     0 
News   Jun 26, 2024
 335     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 2K     2 

Toronto non-mall retail (Odds & Ends)

• Thread starter marksimpson7843
  • Start date
Resource Furniture is moving into 322 King Street East at the base of The King East condos in the former Prologue Lifestyle spa space. They were formerly located at Richmond & Sherbourne.

I wonder if they are closing the King West location?

I dare to dream that Crate & Barrel, CB2 and West Elm will one day open in the land of the expensive sofa.

Don't know! They have been building larger stores (in the 20,000 square foot range) as they move to a more gallery format. “Our new concept of substantially larger Studios has been embraced by consumers and interior designers alike. We are exploring options in additional cities in the U.S. and Canada for 2014 openings.â€
http://blog.dwr.com/2014/07/18/desi...os-in-los-angeles-new-york-and-san-francisco/

They almost went bankrupt in 2009 but have since turned a corner (under their new CEO) and since their acquisition by Herman Miller. I can see them keeping both open especially if they are much different types of stores. I've always been shocked that West Elm hasn't opened more than one store in Toronto to be honest.

Application: Building Additions/Alterations Status: Under Review

TORONTO ON M5J 1A7

Ward 20: Trinity-Spadina

Application#: 15 111507 BLD 00 BA Accepted Date: Feb 3, 2015

Project: Multiple Unit Building Interior Alterations

Description: Proposal for interior alterations and expansion into 2 units for the existing grocery store (Sobey's) on the ground floor of the existing multiple unit building.

I read it the opposite, that Sobey's was expanding into two additional units. It's definitely not clear!

BTW, Tilley's has left Harbourfront and reopened on Front St.

I don't think they have opened on Front yet. The local neighbourhood rag reports they are fighting with the landlord about who will pay to remove the asbestos from the space.

globeandmail 10:28am via SocialFlow
Parasuco Retail closes stores, files for bankruptcy. http://trib.al/897BcK4

Another one bites the dust. Within a year we have lost.... Target, Sony, Mexx, Bowring, Smart Set, Jacob.

Who's next? My guess is Sears, Best Buy, and i predict Nordstrom/Saks will kill most of the Holt Renfrew stores.

Last edited:
I don't know if this is common knowledge but Muji is opening another store downtown around September.

globeandmail 10:28am via SocialFlow
Parasuco Retail closes stores, files for bankruptcy. http://trib.al/897BcK4

The news items on this make it seem as only the current retail arm is bankrupt, which the jeans manufacturing/wholesaling arm is still chugging along. A great way to get out of leases, and possibly open new stores in the future.

^I was in the store (trying to buy an item that always seems to be sold out!) and mentioned to an employee that it would be great to have another location downtown and was told that they are looking for another site for a September opening but nothing finalized. Somewhere west would make sense.

Back