Toronto Murano | ?m | 45s | Lanterra | a—A

Why don't buildings enforce window covering standards? All the supeintendent needs to do is stand outside to find offenders?

My condo has a by-law for white-only window coverings, but it is not strictly enforced. There is also a clutter on the balcony clause. Again, not sure if this is followed. I suppose it is up to the condo board, once established, to create these rules and define the compliance and enforcement standards. What are the penatlies for non-compliance? If it is a strongly worded letter then what is the point? Some custom-made blinds costs an arm and a leg and once they are up they are up. Guaranteed the owner of the unit doesn't give a crap what it looks like from outside.

I was walking East towards Murano along a side street with the afternoon sun behind my back. I was bothered by how clear and transparent the windows were. Stacked boxes, other crap, and inferior window coverings in some units were just too visible.

Also the edge of the concete walls seperating rooms within the building seemed to come right up against the glass. It seemed very raw.

Overall the effect was scrappy, I'm very hopeful it was just a function of the direct afternoon lighting.

One of the challenges of glass towers is that they do not remain beautiful and sterile for long. Eventually "folks" move in with crappy window coverings, or they stack messy belonging right up against the floor to ceiling windows.

Why don't buildings enforce window covering standards? All the supeintendent needs to do is stand outside to find offenders?

What a ridiculous notion. Boxes, window coverings, bikes, etc., are people's possessions and they should (and do, I believe) have the right to put them anywhere they wish. I love seeing people's junk on balconies since it contributes to a 'lived in' look. Were we to enforce regulations that stipulated where people can and can't place their own items, we would be needlessly policing others' lives while neutering the life of the street for the 'benefit' of people who probably don't live there.

I would equate such regulations to a suburban resident calling the police so that a neighbor would pick his/her kids toys up off the front lawn.

Just about every condo corporation has rules, nevertheless, about the look you present to the outside world. Ostensibly it is to keep the perceived value of the building, and therefore the individual units, high.

The building I live in requires me to have neutral coloured window coverings. I present all white on the window coverings facing the street, but black mini-venetians facing the side. Not everyone on the board considers the black to be neutral, but all it really does is make the reflections on the exterior of the window more prominent... so I have been able to keep them.

Residents buying at FashionHouse have to agree to keep their red and orange coloured curtains facing out: all of this is just for a coordinated look for these buildings.

The tyranny of white ... the tyranny of red ... the tyranny of orange ...

What coloured curtains would the condo board gauleiters have dictated if Will Alsop's multi-hued West Side Lofts had been built, I wonder?

Residential buildings make a statement in the fact that everyone living in it has a different life. If they have things against their walls or in their apartment you don't like, that's your issue.

Clothes lines then - with grandpa's jellowing cotton long-johns? Cawn-on we needs some standards...

Stacked cases of 24 waiting for return to the LCBO?

Junked appliances we're too lazy to throw away like old fridges?

"The lived-in look is over-rated"

Clothes lines then - with grandpa's jellowing cotton long-johns? Cawn-on we needs some standards...

hahahaha....awesome! beef?

Why not? What is so offensive about any of those things? Grandpa is saving energy by not using a dryer, someone is recycling their used bottles instead of throwing them out and the old fridges etc. (drastic example, really) are not in a creek? Why is this so bad?

People who live in glass houses should not throw stuff out by placing it against the glass.

From the street I want to imagine that every unit in any given building has been decorated by an HGTV host.

Any reco's where to get some window coverings?

I always buy from Aileen's in College Park or there are "do it yourself" places but you do all the measuring and installing (which is a big job drilling into concrete ceilings unless you have the tools and know-how to do it).

Any reco's where to get some window coverings?

I did some shopping around for my cellular blinds, and Blinds to Go appears to be the most economical. I let them do the measuring and installing so that they will be responsible for the final product and fitting.

I did some shopping around for my cellular blinds, and Blinds to Go appears to be the most economical. I let them do the measuring and installing so that they will be responsible for the final product and fitting.

Yeah I hit them up for my windows. There is a location just west of Bay & Davenport.

Back