News   Jun 07, 2024
 2.6K     0 
News   Jun 07, 2024
 4.9K     8 
News   Jun 07, 2024
 3.5K     3 

Toronto Municipal Election 2018: Mayor’s Race

I'm still confused exactly why she thought the municipal level was where she should run.

All the issues she cares about are provincial and federal in jurisdiction.

In her message she proclaimed she was just like Doug Ford and the only person capable of working with him to further his ideals in the City of Toronto. The message was very hostile and sounded like her Youtube videos.

I think she wanted to run in Toronto because with Doug Ford in power she probably felt she could turn the city into her own little slice of ultra-conservative heaven.

It will interesting to see who donated money to Goldy. Anyone who donates more than $100 has their name published on the candidate's financial statements, assuming she submits them. Mind you, given her base of virgin basement dwellers, I imagine she gets a lot of $5 and $10 donations.

It will interesting to see who donated money to Goldy. Anyone who donates more than $100 has their name published on the candidate's financial statements, assuming she submits them. Mind you, given her base of virgin basement dwellers, I imagine she gets a lot of $5 and $10 donations.

I don't know. Those Toronto Police who posed with her in that picture make well above $100K.

I thought $5 and $10 donations was a sign of widespread support from the bottom half of the middle class and poorer, and no support from the "elites".

I'm still confused exactly why she thought the municipal level was where she should run.

All the issues she cares about are provincial and federal in jurisdiction.
She's doing it for the free publicity - Toronto mayor is the largest direct election constituency in Canada. Provincial elections are either small (MPP) or cost a lot (party leader). A few wingnuts will fund a bare bones campaign so mayor is extremely low risk.

In her message she proclaimed she was just like Doug Ford and the only person capable of working with him to further his ideals in the City of Toronto.
Then she's said more than she realizes! (gist) "No-one wants to or can work with Ford...except me".

Honesty, for all the wrong reasons...

But how much can she air it, and to what effect. Tory's been front and centre during all of Toronto's crises. For his faults, and we all have faults with him (or anybody who's in charge), he's been the face of Toronto for the last four years. Can't say the same about Keesmaat.

If the hard left thinks he's too right, and the hard-right thinks he's too left, that right there may be a sign he's the optimal leader. We're a huge ass city with a core, central area, and expansive suburbs. He can't be part right some of the time or all right all the time. He'll find the somewhere in between. Which is why he'll assuredly win.

I'm not sure how exactly this translates to a boon for Tory- the fact that he's been the face of Toronto for the last four years can be a liability in associating various emerging civic issues to his governance.

Tory's ultimately a mayor that perpetuates the idea of a status quo while pushing conservative policies that can be shortsighted (i.e. flatlining the TTC budget resulting in failing AC, or refusing to allocate money to improving Toronto's flood infrastructure), lackluster (Vision Zero), and expensive (Scarborough Subway, Smarttrack)- it's ultimately a vision of complacency for a city that faces itself at a crossroads where certain elements of its livability are seriously being challenged.

And when push comes to shove, he proves that he can easily be on board with hard-conservative policies (Ford's council cuts and strong mayoralty proposal).

I would almost say that Toronto feels like it's been on autopilot for the last four years.

Have to say I'm not very impressed with Jennifer Keesmaat so far, who has no plan to reverse to Tory's "keep taxes low" approach.

https://torontolife.com/city/qa-mayoral-contender-jennifer-keesmaat-plan-oust-john-tory/

Because if she ever slightly mentions that she's going to raise taxes, Kouvalis and co. will bludgeon her campaign endlessly with the association of being a far-leftist NDP agitator, which which will more or less doom her in the suburbs.

It's not ideal, but it is realpolitik.

Last edited:
Because if she ever slightly mentions that she's going to raise taxes, Kouvalis and co. will bludgeon her campaign endlessly with the association of being a far-leftist NDP agitator, which which will more or less doom her in the suburbs.

It's not ideal, but it is realpolitik.

So she sticks to the "no tax" pledge - and still loses?

Back