News   Jul 15, 2024
 494     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 648     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 582     0 

Toronto Municipal Election 2018: Mayor’s Race

This whole thing is going to be a complete mess mark my words. The whole reduction creates an unplanned, unmitigated mess.

The one major fear (among many that I have) are the boneheads who -if elected- will wield a huge amount of power and can cause a huge levels of destruction in this city. The one's I have in mind in particular are: Mammolitti (who obviously supports this decision), Karygiannis, DiCiano (who will most likely have no chance of re-election now but there's still a chance nevertheless), and Minnen-Wong.

And the funny thing about all this is that half of Torontonians wont even notice these changes and wont realize the huge implications of Fords ill-conceived move either because of their willful ignorance, or inattention to municipal affairs.

This whole thing is going to be a complete mess mark my words. The whole reduction creates an unplanned, unmitigated mess.

The one major fear (among many that I have) are the boneheads who -if elected- will wield a huge amount of power and can cause a huge levels of destruction in this city. The one's I have in mind in particular are: Mammolitti (who obviously supports this decision), Karygiannis, DiCiano (who will most likely have no chance of re-election now but there's still a chance nevertheless), and Minnen-Wong.

And the funny thing about all this is that half of Torontonians wont even notice these changes and wont realize the huge implications of Fords ill-conceived move either because of their willful ignorance, or inattention to municipal affairs.

Might not matter who is elected as councillors since they have also hinted at changing to a "strong Mayor" system. So basically it will be 25 councillors split between wooing the Mayor for praise and the odd favour while the others are yelling at the top of their lungs in frustration.

I wonder if Ford waits to see if Tory gets back in before making this change. The Mayor seat is now very important in this election to say the least.

Last edited:

Agreed.

This absolutely horrible news - Ford is implementing something his brother campaigned on years ago.

We probably need more councilors, not to reduce the current number by half.

It's like he's intent on continuing the damage Mike Harris did to Toronto.

Last edited:
Can anyone draw up a map that guesses the new boundries or a list of which concillors will now be competing against each other?

Let the DEATH MATCH begin

gpt8fh9d_normal.jpg
Jennifer Pagliaro@jpags
25 mins ago
UPDATED: Possible incumbent showdowns if a 25-ward structure is approved for Toronto city council (Fixes Toronto Centre). This is a work in progress, so send me comments

Wouldn't the new Toronto Centre be Wong Tam (27) vs Lucy Troisi (28)? Some of you may know Troisi who moonlights as co-host of Love It or List It. Heh I'm just kidding about that last part. Get flyers with Troisi on it and assumed for awhile they were RE-related and it was the woman from that show.

So I guess Wong Tam is going to be my new councillor (I live in Regent Park.) That's okay by me as Troisi backed the NIMBYs in Cabbagetown who wanted to kill the daycare. Good riddance.

The result of this municipal election is going to decide the fate of Toronto. The stakes are incredibly high. We need a Mayor who will defend Progressive Toronto against Ford's meddling. The Mayor has to fight the Province, not make deals for more power. Tory talking about the Strong Mayor system days before Ford blows up City Council is no coincidence.

If the signup deadline is being extended, a strong progressive must join the race. There is no sitting this one out.

The really shitty thing amongst many shitty things about this is there will be very little chance for a non-incumbent to win a seat. I'm looking at all these battles and a new person doesn't stand a chance to come out of the woodwork. I bet a lot of people will pull out of the election if this becomes reality.

Back