News   Jul 15, 2024
 660     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 812     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 616     0 

Toronto Municipal Election 2018: Mayor’s Race

I wonder how many people would vote for him, mostly because of the last name.

I don't think anyone remembers Mel with any particular fondness. He was an awful, fairly do-nothing mayor whose time included the MFP computer scandal among other things. More to the point, plenty of other people won't remember the Lastman name at all.

I don't think anyone remembers Mel with any particular fondness. He was an awful, fairly do-nothing mayor whose time included the MFP computer scandal among other things. More to the point, plenty of other people won't remember the Lastman name at all.

Well, he will be remembered for his stupid jinxes - e.g. calling in the army for the snowstorm. the African cannibalism joke during the Olympic bid, and yelling at Miller telling him he will never be mayor among the choice bits.

And of course, his entourage from the old NY days turned out to be the real winners as city bureaucrats (aka their respective roles in the MFP scandal)

AoD

Last edited:
I think Lastman got talked out of it due to fear of vote splitting from a left wing challenger that is coming into the race tomorrow.

So you joined a few days ago. Are you part of Peddie’s team?
I am just a huge politics buff that likes to predict things. I am not on team Peddie I wouldn't trust him to run a lemonade stand after his fail MLSE tenure. I just think he is going to run, mostly on the basis that I think he has been positioning himself with constant commentary. I totally admit I might be wrong on this though.

With the announcement that Ford is about to cut the council in half, maybe this will force some councillors to consider running for mayor. After all, do BFFs like Joe Cressy and Mike Layton run against each other? How about allies Chris Moise and KWT?

The next 18 hours will be interesting.

With the announcement that Ford is about to cut the council in half, maybe this will force some councillors to consider running for mayor. After all, do BFFs like Joe Cressy and Mike Layton run against each other? How about allies Chris Moise and KWT?

The next 18 hours will be interesting.

This is actually a very good point. I was on the side of Tory backing up Ford on this secretly for the reason of keeping the balance of power. But he is more at risk of losing in this scenario so I don't know.

This is actually a very good point. I was on the side of Tory backing up Ford on this secretly for the reason of keeping the balance of power. But he is more at risk of losing in this scenario so I don't know.

Although how many Left councillors will now decide to run for Mayor? They could step on their own toes in a fight to save their individual careers? Could go either way

Back