Mississauga Mississauga Transitway | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | IBI Group

• Phase I of the Mississauga Transitway is nearing completion with
construction hand-over expected August 31, 2014.
• Commissioning and training activities will follow hand-over to
prepare for revenue service on November 17, 2014 for express
Routes 107 and 109 as well as local Route 21.
• An official opening is tentatively scheduled for November 10,2014
to be followed by a community open house on November 15, the
Saturday prior to the start of revenue service.
• All remaining sections of the transitway have been tendered and are
at various stages of construction.

I am really impressed with the Missisauga Transitway.

With POP, near complete ROW, transit only roads, pleasant stations, real time arrivals, and good connections, Missisauga has built itself a very impressive rpaid transit corridor which will serve it well.

It's taken long enough but clearly a lot of thought went into it before construction. They also had, unlike Toronto Transitcity, a clear conception of the kind of service they were trying to provide. they wanted a true RAPID transit system and they have gotten one for a very affordable price. Too bad that when they take their rapid transit to Eglinton they have to transfer onto the slow moving buses of the TTC.

I am really impressed with the Missisauga Transitway.

With POP, near complete ROW, transit only roads, pleasant stations, real time arrivals, and good connections, Missisauga has built itself a very impressive rpaid transit corridor which will serve it well.

It's taken long enough but clearly a lot of thought went into it before construction. They also had, unlike Toronto Transitcity, a clear conception of the kind of service they were trying to provide. they wanted a true RAPID transit system and they have gotten one for a very affordable price. Too bad that when they take their rapid transit to Eglinton they have to transfer onto the slow moving buses of the TTC.

But eventually, they will get a slow moving LRT.

Never going to happen as the transitway is a "GO THING" and GO has no need for LRT.

The numbers used in the 2004 EA supported an LRT, but in the end it was the whole system numbers, not the transitway numbers.

MT will never have the riders to come close for an LRT.

The Transitway for Phases I-III are only part of the big one Going from Burlington in the west and connecting to 407 in the east with all kinds of branch lines.

You can run BRT & LRT in the same ROW, but GO not into it.

I do see the Eglinton LRT using the ROW to Sq One

The Hurontario-Main LRT? With 45 minute travel time end-to-end and 32km/h average speed, same as TTC subway, I wouldn't call that slow.

Mississauga Transitway will be great for GO, but for Mississauga Transit itself I am skeptical. It is not in walkign distance of much, it will require transfers to the stations. It will be great for the 107, for express transit "downtown" to the airport, mostly in ROW - even Toronto doesn't have that, lol.

Express connection to Malton is important too, for social reasons. (I really wish TTC would extend 36 to Westwood, it would help reduce the isolation of Rexdale too.)

That said, I am always surprised at the ridership of the 109 (Meadowvale-Sq One-Islington) whenever I see it. The ridership is actually really good considering the lack of ROW. I was very skeptical fo 109, but maybe 109 will end having better ridership than 107. Shows what I know.

I think BurlOak is referring to the Eglinton Crosstown, which would connect with the transitway at Renforth eventually.

Oh right. That on-street LRT beside the Richview Corridor. I forgot about that.

Actually they aren't even building that section yet, if ever, so he's wrong either way. Somehow Toronto decided that Eglinton East would have higher ridership than West, that's the priority. That's what happens when transit planning is done by politicians and based entirely on politics like that. Yet people here only call out Rob Ford for doing that, it's sad.

Oh right. That on-street LRT beside the Richview Corridor. I forgot about that.

Actually they aren't even building that section yet, if ever, so he's wrong either way. Somehow Toronto decided that Eglinton East would have higher ridership than West, that's the priority. That's what happens when transit planning is done by politicians and based entirely on politics like that. Yet people here only call out Rob Ford for doing that, it's sad.

Actually, the LRT along Eglinton would be on a right-of-way. Allegedly, with "transit priority" at the intersections.

Toronto should be doing the EXACT same thing as the Missisauga Transitway across the northern portion of the city using corridors along the the 427, airport freeway, and the 401 to Sheppard West and Sheppard subway stations. There is enough room and it should be used as an express route using regular TTC fares with maybe 4 or 5 stops. A way for the people of Miss and Etiboko to get across the city and the York U and the Spadina ext and Yonge line and points north into York region.

Most US cities have some form of bus-only lanes on or beside current freeways for fast across town travel and the work very effectively. Vancouver has bus-only lanes and HOV with special bus on/off ramps which GREATLY reduce time and the improvement in reliability is huge.

Toronto should be doing the EXACT same thing as the Missisauga Transitway across the northern portion of the city using corridors along the the 427, airport freeway, and the 401 to Sheppard West and Sheppard subway stations. There is enough room and it should be used as an express route using regular TTC fares with maybe 4 or 5 stops. A way for the people of Miss and Etiboko to get across the city and the York U and the Spadina ext and Yonge line and points north into York region.

Most US cities have some form of bus-only lanes on or beside current freeways for fast across town travel and the work very effectively. Vancouver has bus-only lanes and HOV with special bus on/off ramps which GREATLY reduce time and the improvement in reliability is huge.

Vancouver has no expressways going through its downtown. The expressways end at their borders.

As of Oct 2014, 107 & 109 will see 7 day a week service.

GO Transit will not be using the transitway until 2016 when it is fully completed. They will only be stopping in the east at Dixie & Renforth when they start using it. More info to follow at a later date in 2015 as what their plans will be for service using it, as well beyond it.

Full roll out for the transitway will start in September to the public to educate them what will be taking place on Nov 17 when it goes into service. Also to inform drivers that you can't use this road and will be enforce by the police with nice tickets if caught using it.

Shuttle buses will be in service on Nov 10 to carry riders to all 4 station so they can visit them one at a time. All 4 stations will have different events taking place during the day.

The city is still concern about the Aug 31 handover.

Hurontario closures for the work at Rathburn is now open including the sidewalk, but still a lot of work to be done there yet.

The idea of having transit in Hydro corridors is a thing of the past, as Hydro One is not going to allow it with the exception of hwy 407.

Last edited:
The idea of having transit in Hydro corridors is a thing of the past, as Hydro One is not going to allow it with the exception of hwy 407.

A decision that could potentially cost taxpayers millions, if not billions of dollars in infrastructure that was built in places where it didn't need to go, when it could have gone through a path of much less resistance instead.

Vancouver has no expressways going through its downtown. The expressways end at their borders.

I don't see your point.

I said the NORTHERN section of the city ie 401. Vancouver city doesn't have freeways but that is far more equivalent to the old City of Toronto not the current amalgamated one. There are freeways in Burnaby, North/West Van, Richmond and the further out suburbs. A Transitway using HOV/bus only lanes on some freeway portions and/or a bus-only way beside the 401 with over/underpasses would work incredibly well, be very affordable compared to any of the TTC's current LRT proposals, be more reliable, a hell of a lot faster, and actually make transit a true viable alternative to the car.

They could easily build such a route for $100 million with complete ROW which is a fraction the price of any of the TTC's proposed slow moving LRT lines which won't make a dent in anyone travel times.

Highway 27/427/Brown's Line is perfectly suited for BRT. Throw in some bus bypass shoulders, a few platforms and queue jumps and you pretty much have yourself a functional, mostly grade-separated BRT line.

Why is a thread about a project in progress being diverted into bashing of other transit modes (or one in particular)?

Back