Mississauga Mississauga Transitway | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | IBI Group

IIRC, in the 2004 EA, they said $275M. But later they said $180, and got $60M from Province and Feds (1/3 each). And now the true cost turns out to be $275M. Go figure.

If they asked for $275M from the beginning, that would have gotten $92M each from the higher levels of government. Now Mississauga taxpayers have to pay higher share. Such incompetence.

Last edited:
IIRC, in the 2004 EA, they said $275M. But later they said $180, and got $60M from Province and Feds (1/3 each). And now the true cost turns out to be $275M. Go figure.

If they asked for $275M from the beginning, that would have gotten $92M each from the higher levels of government. Now Mississauga taxpayers have to pay higher share. Such incompetence.

I fought everyone on the figures including in the EA rebuttal I wrote saying the number for ridership was too high and the cost to build it was too low. In the end, I was right and so call experts were wrong.

If the thing was built as proposed, that $275 will be almost 50% higher. They gutted it that the tunnel to/from Sq One terminal at a cost saving of $45m. The list keeps going where cost cutting took place and cheapens enter the picture. The shoulder use is totally useless in the winter that drivers will never use them as well on good summer days.

That $92m was cut from transit funding and why we still have poor and lacking service today.

Last edited:
I fought everyone on the figures including in the EA rebuttal I wrote saying the number for ridership was too high and the cost to build it was too low. In the end, I was right and so call experts were wrong.

If the thing was built as proposed, that $275 will be almost 50% higher. They gutted it that the tunnel to/from Sq One terminal at a cost saving of $45m. The list keeps going where cost cutting took place and cheapens enter the picture. The shoulder use is totally useless in the winter that drivers will never use them as well on good summer days.

That $92m was cut from transit funding and why we still have poor and lacking service today.

The 2004 EA already called for the BRT to use the bus bypass shoulders on the 403. But the removal of the Mavis to Hurontario section was definitely later. I forgot about that. So the estimate definitely should have been higher than $275M.

And they're bus bypass lanes on the 403. The buses only use them when the regular lanes are congested. And I have seen the drivers use them in such situations when I rode the 110. But I can imagine they wouldn't be as clear of snow as regular lanes. That's a major difficulty for artics. For example:

oc-transpo-articulated-buses-stuck.jpg

March 15
At 9 am March 17 and 3 months late, the shelter goes into service at Sq One Terminal. At this time, the heated area is lock off and not completed. There is electrical conduit running up the bus stop pole and it could be for the next bus system.
13181275743_38f4c7d38b_b.jpg

13181161355_07dc3d9889_b.jpg

13181163065_c8e3c52441_b.jpg

13181178305_57342a7362_b.jpg

The heated shelter space seems very narrow based on the pics.

Cheap, Cheap gets you a full narrow shelter and small enclosed area.

How much landscaping does a bus terminal originally designed to handle 25,000 people per weekday and now operating at 160% of capacity usually have?

The length of the heated shelter looks longer in person. It's the width that puzzles me. Why so narrow?

Perhaps they were planning for the future and didn't want to have to rebuild it in 5 years if/when the LRT gets approved?

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Back