2.7K     5 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 714     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.4K     1 

Toronto Metropolitan University (Ryerson) Campus Public Realm

Different view of the Ring from this Star article:

ryerson.jpg

Ryerson has officially changed its name to Toronto Metropolitan University.

(As for the name itself, it's unimaginative, but it's not terrible or without precedent.)

1650994773629.png

Tor-Met you say?

Soon to have a campus in Brampton...........

Toronto Metropolitan University (TMU) is alright, I guess.
We can start calling it "The Met", and it certainly won't be the first, nor the last.

Question is though, should I request my new parchment, or keep everything with Ryerson?

I mean in it'd defence, It's not like Toronto's other university names are exactly creative either. I mean University of Toronto, named after, well, Toronto, and York University, named after, well, the former name of Toronto. Very riveting!

I also think it was smart to include the city's name in terms of international draw (if folks outside of Canada who have no real connection to the country have heard of one Canadian city, it's really only ever one of Toronto, Vancouver, or Montreal).

Ryerson, I mean Toronto Metropolitan, is supposed to be working with the City of Brampton to determine a future location for the school of medicine, which aims to accept students in the fall of 2025. See link.

Shouldn't "Ryserson" be the "University of Brampton", and rename the downtown campus to "University of Brampton Toronto"? Like U of T Scarborough or U of T Mississauga.

A hard-to-hate name. Feels a bit lazy though. Probably designed with international students in mind. The return of "Metro" to TO's vernacular is ironic. Also, I won't mind seeing the word "Toronto" hanging over downtown Brampton either. LOL.

My choice would have been Great Lakes University.

Is Toronto Metropolitan University the new name for Ryerson? Dear God could they have thought of anything worse?

I mean in it'd defence, It's not like Toronto's other university names are exactly creative either. I mean University of Toronto, named after, well, Toronto, and York University, named after, well, the former name of Toronto. Very riveting!
I guess we've run out of names. Toronto's fourth university: York Metropolitan University.

Back