News   Mar 28, 2024
 52     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 215     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 2.2K     1 

Toronto Metropolitan University (Ryerson) Campus Public Realm

I wouldn't be shocked if that is what we will get.

I assume it would be done in chunks, it's a rather large building, and a lot of space to take offline all at once.

This to me would be the sort of project I'd like to see Stern in on.

Not with the goal of pretending Ryerson is a 19thC Elite Uni; but rather to find that scale, quality of pallet, and the right sense of grandeur too.

It can have modern flair at the same time.

But make the quad entrances large, high, and arched, with glorious ceilings and lighting. Put some show into it.

Heres what the vision for it is. Kerr hall is considered long term I would assume 30+. Their are more lucrative areas for Ryerson to expand other than Kerr hall at this time.

Sparks notes:
https://www.ryerson.ca/content/dam/.../ryerson-campus-master-plan-2020-abridged.pdf

Full version:
https://www.ryerson.ca/content/dam/...docs/ryerson-campus-master-plan-2020-full.pdf

Screen Shot 2020-10-02 at 20.55.09.png

Heres what the vision for it is. Kerr hall is considered long term I would assume 30+. Their are more lucrative areas for Ryerson to expand other than Kerr hall at this time.

Sparks notes:
https://www.ryerson.ca/content/dam/.../ryerson-campus-master-plan-2020-abridged.pdf

Full version:
https://www.ryerson.ca/content/dam/...docs/ryerson-campus-master-plan-2020-full.pdf

I don't know if I support going with a park quite that large.

Ryerson does need an iconic, academic building; it would seem logical for it to be on this site.

I suppose it go on the Church frontage alone............

Hmmm

I don't know if I support going with a park quite that large.

Ryerson does need an iconic, academic building; it would seem logical for it to be on this site.

I suppose it go on the Church frontage alone............

Hmmm
Kerr hall quad is used quite well especially for being pretty hidden. I think with more students living close to school in new condos buildings it would be used well. There isn't a lot of other park space in close proximity.

I think an iconic building would look incredible there for sure. Everything recent has been good maybe even great but hasn't had that wow factor.

The new Jarvis building will be good for a tall condo.

If they do choose to put an iconic building here I hope they axe the tower portion because I think that will take away from it for sure.

Yeah that park is too big. Also a bad idea to use vital street frontage on Gerrard for a park.

Kerr Hall is an incredibly important building for academic functions of the school which would need to be replaced with a new build, and it would be a waste if it wasn't higher capacity than what exists presently. Plus there is the gym below the quad, and the healthy established trees to consider too.

Yeah that park is too big. Also a bad idea to use vital street frontage on Gerrard for a park.

Kerr Hall is an incredibly important building for academic functions of the school which would need to be replaced with a new build, and it would be a waste if it wasn't higher capacity than what exists presently. Plus there is the gym below the quad, and the healthy established trees to consider too.

most of the people in Kerr hall with be moved to the new Jarvis building. It’s mostly science in there now and that’s what is moving there.

i think that’s why Kerr hall is considered long term so the replacements can be in place before it’s torn down.

It’s basically a prison and sucks to look at as I eat my lunch.

image.jpg

Also project isn’t even technically full finished and paving stones are already being torn up. I don’t get the stupidity of utility companies in this city!!! Why do we have man holes if they are never used. God damn shameful.

FFE9D765-CBEE-4DB6-9205-9BF4670099A1.jpeg

236597EF-BD8E-4EAE-A754-BC1A446A0C90.jpeg

Will probably be replaced with asphalt and ruin everything that has been done.

can anyone explain to me why utility companies and developers don’t have to fix sidewalks and roadways to the quality they were before!? Or at least pay a sum so that it’s fixed by thecity.

Also project isn’t even technically full finished and paving stones are already being torn up. I don’t get the stupidity of utility companies in this city!!! Why do we have man holes if they are never used. God damn shameful.

View attachment 273895
View attachment 273896
Will probably be replaced with asphalt and ruin everything that has been done.

can anyone explain to me why utility companies and developers don’t have to fix sidewalks and roadways to the quality they were before!? Or at least pay a sum so that it’s fixed by thecity.

Typically they do pay the city and the city goes around and patches it up in batches around the city. The process is essentially this:

1. utility cuts up sidewalk, does their work
2. utility throws down "temporary" asphalt as an interim measure
3. Utility pays city based on pre-determined pricing a fee for cutting up sidewalk
4. The asphalt sits for a while as other utility cuts are made in the area
5. The city eventually gets around to restoring the cut, and typically does all the cuts in the surrounding area at once. This is usually a couple of years after the cut first appeared.

If a utility cut is made on a road that is planned to be reconstructed in the next 3-4 years, leave out part 5. as the City will just wait for the reconstruction.

Typically they do pay the city and the city goes around and patches it up in batches around the city. The process is essentially this:

1. utility cuts up sidewalk, does their work
2. utility throws down "temporary" asphalt as an interim measure
3. Utility pays city based on pre-determined pricing a fee for cutting up sidewalk
4. The asphalt sits for a while as other utility cuts are made in the area
5. The city eventually gets around to restoring the cut, and typically does all the cuts in the surrounding area at once. This is usually a couple of years after the cut first appeared.

If a utility cut is made on a road that is planned to be reconstructed in the next 3-4 years, leave out part 5. as the City will just wait for the reconstruction.
Interesting thanks, I don't see why we cant force them to repair it right away especially when its paving stones like this. I was walking by berczy park today and there is a giant strip of asphalt where paving stones had been. it looks terrible and would have been so much easier just to put them back. It's laziness and greed I hate it

Interesting thanks, I don't see why we cant force them to repair it right away especially when its paving stones like this. I was walking by berczy park today and there is a giant strip of asphalt where paving stones had been. it looks terrible and would have been so much easier just to put them back. It's laziness and greed I hate it

We absolutely could.

We could impose a simple requirement, replace 'as like'.

In other words put it back the way you found it.

We could also require a tight timeline.

Thou shalt replace as like within 3 business days of the completion of any work.

We choose not to.

I strongly suspect multiple vested interests like it the way it is.

For the utilities it means they don't have to worry about the niceties of streetscape design. They don't have to save what they are taking out, or order compatible replacement interlocking pavers or any other
specialized treatment.

For the City, this system is work for City crews; it's also a cash payment to the City's coffers, and justifies certain administrative jobs managing the money.

Neither is good justification for the status quo.

Looks like I was proven wrong thankfully. Installing something electrical it looks like. I doubt it’s a light or emergency call thing cause there are both of those nearby. Two of the bollards have been completely knocked off and three more bent from being hit by cars. The parking garage isn’t even open again yet....... looking at the ones the have been knocked out they were just kinda shoved in there and not held down with concrete

04F72E5B-E7FB-4109-A73E-001D88465DEB.jpeg

Is Anishinaabe University available?

Ryerson University faces calls to change its name

From link.

They hacked off the head from the statue of Egerton Ryerson, now they say his name is next on the chopping block.

For them, ditching it can’t come soon enough.

The day after the toppling and beheading of the statue of Egerton Ryerson — an architect of Canada’s residential school system — people are weighing in on what they witnessed and what they think should happen next.

Kathy Le, 70, was at Sunday’s toppling — an act she figured was long overdue.

“They hammered and sawed to take the head off,” she said. “The school should have taken it down long ago.”

Walking past the remains of Ryerson University’s namesake on Monday morning, Chris McLaren expressed his support for those who destroyed the statue.

“I think it’s good. I’m glad they finally tore that trash down,” he added. “I think they could easily put something else up there. They don’t have to put up something that represents what Egerton represented.”

For years, students and faculty have been demanding not just the statue be removed, but the name of the university also be changed.

“The statue will not be restored or replaced, “ Ryerson President and Vice-Chancellor Mohamed Lachemi said in a statement on Monday.

A Ryerson task force studying Egerton Ryerson’s legacy will not rush its work now that vandals topped the controversial statue.

“Despite the urgency expressed by some this week for immediate change, it is vital that we respect our commitment to the community for a transparent process,” task force Co-Chairs Joanne Dallaire and Catherine Ellis said in a statement.

“With the statue removed, there may be regrets that the many students, faculty, staff and community members who have worked tirelessly towards its removal were not offered the opportunity to witness the moment it came down.”
Toronto Police say they are investigating the removal of the statue.

Faculty member Kike Roach said she wasn’t surprised to see the statue defaced and toppled as it has generated “a lot of strong feelings for years.”

She is one several hundred faculty members who have signed an open letter urging quick action.

“That’s the next thing that people are concerned with,” she said. “We have begun using a transitional name: ‘X University’ ”

The task force is expected to release its conclusions before the fall semester begins.

Back