Toronto Market Wharf | 110.33m | 33s | Context Development | a—A

I was down at Sugar Beach yesterday and the way the top of this thing pokes through the trees looking back towards the city is quite wonderful... the rounded rooftop really goes a long way.

... aAnd the curvaceous rooftop mechanical structure's very, "Come up to the lab and see what's on the slab ..."

I'm pretty sure that those are two level PH units up there, not that it makes the curvy roof topper any less sexy...

rocky.gif

The east elevation of the building changes appearance depending upon the time of day, thanks to the wavy balconies and fritted glass railings. Before noon, the building's horizontal lines are quite striking, with an intermittent wave like pattern. Later in the afternoon when the sun is in the western sky, the horizontal lines lose their wavy character and become more uniform and ordinary in appearance. Still, I like the fact that the building changes appearance throughout the day, all because of the shadow effect from the wavy balconies.

Taken July 28, 2012:

IMG_4540.jpg

IMG_4526.jpg

Closeup on the top floors:

IMG_4532.jpg

Obviously privacy screens have yet to go up but as is, this is without a doubt the great looking balcony slab ever. I'm absolutely loving this project from top to bottom.

this area really needs to get some variety of colour to it.... it's like a black hole, no - a "green" hole of monotony!

Last edited by a moderator:
this area really needs to get some variety of colour to it.... it's like a black hole, no - a "green" hole of monotony!

To be fair, that green glass is all South Core in the background, most of the newer development in the St. Lawrence Market neighbourhood uses a good mix of colour and materials.

The balconies are looking pretty sexy.
Unfortunately they do not read very well from a distance. It's probably the flatness of the fritted glass. I also wish the spandrel panels of the tower were darker so that there's a better contrast with the balconies.
If the balconies were reflective glass it would be pretty stunning, but at the expense of birds crashing into it.

The balconies are looking pretty sexy.
Unfortunately they do not read very well from a distance. It's probably the flatness of the fritted glass. I also wish the spandrel panels of the tower were darker so that there's a better contrast with the balconies.
If the balconies were reflective glass it would be pretty stunning, but at the expense of birds crashing into it.

Judging by what's been completed so far on the bottom few floors of the tower section it should look good from a distance but great when closer to it. The advantage here are all the vehicles passing by it on the Gardiner, coming into or leaving the city on the eastbound GO train, walking along Front Street or approaching the St. Lawrence Market - all close enough to catch the curves. If this turns out like I think and hope it should, it will yield terrific views of Market Wharf's eye catching, curvy balconies.

Back