Toronto Maple Leaf Square | 185.92m | 54s | Lanterra | KPMB

Can someone explain what the structural purpose of the "transfer slab" they're supposed to be pouring between podium and condos will serve?

Wikipedia and Google have failed me in this instance, and I must resort to asking other humans.

the podium probably has fewer load bearing walls and columns (or in different locations) requring the load bearing weight of the tower's points to be transfered over to the podium's points ... like a header over a door (AFAIK)

I'd expect a slab three to four times as fat as the 7ish inches were used to seeing.

I was told the slab is 6'6" thick. They'll start pouring on a Friday and wrap up on a Sunday. The north one is getting done first, and the preparations are underway. Soon you'll see the shoring going in a couple of floors below the slab, and then once that's in place they'll be ready to pour

:eek: that is friggen huge.

If I'm not mistaken isn't there a Longos supermarket going in under the North tower across from Telus? That might be the "costco" you're thinking of.

Massive. It's already dwarfed the ACC.

Current (on SSC) said:
2957269908_fc1a1f553a_b.jpg

I'm still not a fan of the design but this could end up looking better than expected.

Syn, what aspect(s) of the design are you not a fan of?

What I am surprised by is that there has never been a render (that I can remember) of the podium that was detailed enough to give us any concrete expectations of what it would look like. All I can picture is some generalized golden glow: certainly not these black panels on the hotel portion, or the different floor heights and glazing on the office portion.

I am also questioning why the podium is not a 9 or 10 floor ring all the way around, and is instead a U shape. Won't it be fairly noisy, being exposed to the Gardiner traffic on the east side? Had the podium been a full ring, the atrium or well (enclosed or exposed, depending on what level a glass roof were located) could have been an oasis of quiet in the middle of the city.

Anyway, Syn, it would be helpful if you explained what you haven't liked about the scheme.

Hi Widdle(?!), welcome to the forum.

I agree that the renderings in this project have been less than comprehensive and huge questions remain regarding what this project will look like when all is said and done.

Back