Toronto Maple Leaf Square | 185.92m | 54s | Lanterra | KPMB

No, the north pour is happening this weekend, and the south pour is supposed to be the weekend after.

I liked the previous renders of the podium more than I like the new one.
I do love that black cladding, I just don't think it looks as good with the rest of the building as the glass would have on the previous renders.

I dunno ... the black cladding is pretty sharp in person ... I like it quite a bit.

Still though it does mismatch with the other portion of the building ... we'll see how that goes. In some ways it makes the project more interesting then one large monotone block.

Yeah, I see no problem with the black cladding. It offers a distinct clean, sharp and elegant look which pundoubtedly sets this project apart from the mass array of all glass towers we have here in Toronto. All for the better if you ask me.

The black is also going to look very nice once Telus is complete as well.

telus_tower_base.jpg

They're both going to compliment one another.

The real materials they are using for the black cladding are reflective while the rendering made it look matted. I prefer the matted look, to be honest, but I do like the use of the black cladding. For one, it adds more variety to the corridor and effectively breaks-up the monolithic footprint of the building. It is a welcomed effect.

The clash will also be softened somewhat once the fin gets installed on the York side. It'll serve as a proper break between the hotel and office sides of the building

In a few years no one will recognize this intersection for what it was a decade ago.

Telus is looking very handsome. Maple Leaf Square looks quite different than than the original rendering, but so far what is happening there looks quite intriguing.

some interesting details in this article from Daily Commercial News:

November 5, 2008

Twin towers rise at PCL’s Maple Leaf Square project

Peter Kenter
Correspondent

After excavation activity dominated much of 2007, the massive Maple Leaf Square commercial-residential-retail complex continues to rise from the property west of Toronto’s Air Canada Centre (ACC).

With an excavated base that lies 17 metres below the water level of Lake Ontario, most of the work has since progressed above ground as general contractor PCL Constructors Canada Ltd. completes the base of the twin-tower project.

While challenging, the excavation was enclosed by a caisson that provided a water-tight seal, says Bruce Norman, Construction Manager with PCL. “We first dug through about three stories of junk, including old bridge piers, garbage and coal that dated back to the 1800s, but the final three stories were solid rock,†he says.

The podium features six levels of below-grade parking and 10 stories of above-ground facilities including LEED-certified office space, a hotel, retail facilities, a broadcast centre and a day care centre, representing one of Canada’s largest mixed-use developments.

Concrete pouring for the podium is complete, and curtain wall construction began in August.

“We’re working hard to get the podium sealed up for winter,†says Norman.

Once the exterior of the podium is completed, work will progress on the podium interior and the erection of the twin condominium towers—one at 40 stories and the other at 44—rising from the base.

The contractor says that the construction team will move aggressively on erecting the towers’ steel and glass structure through the winter.

PCL is working on a second project managed by Norman at the ACC that includes construction of a new access ramp to the centre and new loading docks (completed) and a redesign and expansion of the arena’s west side concourse.

“We’re punching out the west side of the ACC and building a large atrium with additional floor plates for retail and a larger concourse,†says Norman.

Both projects are interconnected through the public concourse that runs through Maple Leaf Square and around the ACC.

The ACC expansion is scheduled to be completed in August 2009. The Maple Leaf Square Project is scheduled to open in April 2010. “We’re on track for that,†says Norman.

The Maple Leaf Square project was designed by Page + Steele Architects. The owner is York Bremner Developments Ltd.

Consultants are Jablonsky Ast & Partners (structural) and Hidi Rae Consulting Engineers (mechanical/electrical).

Subtrades include Michael Bros. Excavating; Anchor Shoring & Caissons Ltd.; The Atlas Corp. (dewatering); Salit Steel (Niagara) Ltd.; Alliance Construction (masonry); Flynn Canada Ltd. (siding/glass/glazing); and Otis Canada/ThyssenKrupp Elevator Ltd. (elevators).

November 4 2008 update

I saw the partially complete podium facade material in person for the first time and was quite impressed ... I particularly like the black spandrel panels on the east and north elevations, they appear to look like granite panels which makes the building look very CLASSY :cool:

construction of the 10 storey podium 'structure' seems generally complete ... work is underway on the 11th floor of both the north+south tower :D

IMG_2452.jpg

East View
IMG_2446.jpg

Bridge to ACC
IMG_2447.jpg

North Tower
IMG_2448.jpg

Podium North View
IMG_2450.jpg

Podium Northwest View
IMG_2451.jpg

Southwest View
IMG_2453.jpg

I didn't realise before that Hotel Le Germain was going to be the hotel operator at MLS ~

IMG_2449.jpg

Back