Toronto Maple Leaf Square | 185.92m | 54s | Lanterra | KPMB

Thanks for the pics. I walked by this the other day and the podium looks very large and impressive at the street level so far. I hope it turns out as nice as it seems it might.

wicked!! - This is the one to watch, the towers are rising off the podium now.

Not sure what you are seeing that makes you think that but I think it is wrong.

Before the towers can rise, they have to pour a lot of concrete to create a "transfer slab" that will become the roof of the podium and the support for the condo towers.....it is my understanding that this massive pouring of concrete has to happen in one consecutive pour that lasts around 15 hours (to prevent/avoid the slab having any seams).

When that happens (it will be a saturday in November) all of the streets around the project will be closed for the duration of the pour as it is a massive amount of concrete that has to be supplied to the site to support the pour (something in the order of 1,500 - 2,000 cubic metres of concrete).

is there going to be a public art component to this project?

is there going to be a public art component to this project?

I can't really recall but I don't think so......not sure where any significant public art would be....the podium pretty much covers the entire site and rises 9 storeys and the space that existed between the site and the ACC is mostly getting filled in with the new atrium/grand foyer for the ACC.

Combined between the project and the ACC expansion project, there will be lots of "modern art" in the form of video boards and bright advertising!

October 9, 2008

mls1-2.jpg

mls2-2.jpg

mls3.jpg

mls5-1.jpg

mls4-1.jpg

mls6-1.jpg

mls7-1.jpg

mls9.jpg

mls8.jpg

mlscanyon.jpg

Great pictures.

They're really coming along on the ACC expansion.

That part is supposed to be finished next fall.......it is one of those short term pain for long term gain situations.....that coridor is always congested inside the rink and it takes ages to get out of the building....the expansion actually has the coridor narrowed this year so it will be worse than usual this year but once the expansion is done it should be great!

That's just the east end catching up with the rest. Remember that this end had the temporary parking garage ramp that needed to be removed. Once that was done it was at least 7 floors behind.

The podium is short on the East side, it's only going up two or three floors on the NE corner.

And there is a central courtyard. That's why there hasn't been much visible progress lately on the curtainwall, because the work is all focused in the courtyard right now.

Back