Toronto Lower Simcoe Ramp | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto

Are there any really good pics of it still standing? I should have taken pics when I used to bike past, but that was in the days of film...who thought of wasting film and development on that? I remember biking around the ramp at the southeast corner of Leslie and Lakeshore across from the Brewers Retail warehouse. It was a lot like the York ramp.
This is in Archives listed as "Leslie [?] looking south to Gardiner - [between 1981 and 1984]Forms part of: File 524; Streets - Gardiner / Lake Shore". I think it may be Leslie looking NORTH.

gardiner.jpg

Attachments

• gardiner.jpg
    gardiner.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 526
This is in Archives listed as "Leslie [?] looking south to Gardiner - [between 1981 and 1984]Forms part of: File 524; Streets - Gardiner / Lake Shore". I think it may be Leslie looking NORTH.
Yes, definitely looking north. Loblaws is still there, as is the other structure on the left.

In the same spot today, you'd see Canadian tire if you turned left. Leslie Barns (or at least ugly concrete wall) if you turned right. And streetcar tracks coming down Leslie.

When I was there, they were planning on closing one lane of Harbour St at 9 am and they needed hording up before they could jackhammer. Only can jackhammer where the hording is. The weather has put them behind schedule and still hoping to be done by June 3rd, subject to weather.

Forming is taking place for the last off ramp pier for Simcoe. Other than the future park area, everything has been clean up. Crews were working in a hole by the parking garage and no idea what for.

With all the ramp gone, the area is very clean sight look.

They will have to remove and relocate the the Toronto Hydro vault before proceeding. Toronto Hydro is always the wild card with City of Toronto projects. They held up St Clair Street car construction for years, and Harbourfront for almost a year. It will be interesting to see how long they manage to hold up this project.

They will have to remove and relocate the the Toronto Hydro vault before proceeding. Toronto Hydro is always the wild card with City of Toronto projects. They held up St Clair Street car construction for years, and Harbourfront for almost a year. It will be interesting to see how long they manage to hold up this project.
Yes, Hydro are often the culprit with project delays. The current construction on Wellington will be completed from York to Yonge ages before the section from Yonge to Church because of hydro work in these eastern blocks which may not be completed until 2018. They are a rogue agency!

Where does all the steel and concrete go after its been taken down?
The steel beam and rebar will be ship to scrap yard to be recycle for the steel mills. Concrete will be recycle as well.

Sunday May 28, 2017:

The work crews too a rare day off today, despite the good weather. These photos were taken of the current deconstruction status.

Looking west along Harbour Street towards York Street Intersection:

Closeup on the park section:

Looking east along Harbour Street toward Bay Street intersection. The last stretch of the Harbour Street ramp should be be completely down by the end of this week.

Sunday May 28, 2017:

The work crews too a rare day off today, despite the good weather. These photos were taken of the current deconstruction status.
If you read some posting above, you see why the delay.

The crew wasn't working Sunday since they have no permission to do so.

You have to keep moving the hording before you can jackhammering the next section of the ramp and that takes time to protect the building. The hording from Harbour St will move to the west side of the building when Harbour is finish.

Safety on a site come first and that cleaning up as you go. You will see where the beams have been cut up into small section so they can be place in a scrap bin. Takes time to collect the rebar so it can be place in a scrap bin as well.

Yes, Hydro are often the culprit with project delays. The current construction on Wellington will be completed from York to Yonge ages before the section from Yonge to Church because of hydro work in these eastern blocks which may not be completed until 2018. They are a rogue agency!
Maybe they could deploy more resources if City Council didn't use them as a piggy bank.

Back