Toronto Lower Simcoe Ramp | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto

The only concern with shortening an off ramp is that when you have a lot of traffic exiting, the line up could back up on to the main highway and cause significant delays (Jarvis off ramp is an example).

That shouldn't be an issue since the ramp is still "there", it's just at ground level. Harbour Street is going to be one lane wider, at least up to York Street. If the Jarvis ramp was cut back to Yonge then Lakeshore Blvd. would also be widened to three lanes instead of two.

The elevated Gardiner would actually be quite tolerable. It's the ramps that make it hostile to pedestrians.

Agree. The Gardiner is not the barrier everyone thinks it is. It's the long ramps that favour vehicles over pedestrians and the Lakeshore itself.

Case in point: Spadina westbound on-ramp and Bay eastbound on-ramp are both PEDESTRIANS YIELD TO CARS which is insane.

There's no reason cars should get priority over pedestrians. If anything, giving pedestrians priority would space out the traffic entering the gardiner for less congestion.

Why is it going so fast do we think? Was it just way over-estimated originally? Surely this type of work has been done before and the pace it takes is a known thing. Was there something that made this job much easier than expected?

Oh honey...demolition is the easy part. The new construction will be tediously slow.

... I'm wondering how fast they will get the new ramp built and how far ahead of schedule they'll be done the entire thing.

If anything they are behind schedule, it's been over a month already.

Where's the Gardiner "isn't a barrier" crowd?

Planning our visits to the large parking garage that has now been opened up!

The only concern with shortening an off ramp is that when you have a lot of traffic exiting, the line up could back up on to the main highway and cause significant delays (Jarvis off ramp is an example).

It's more the safety concerns associated with mainline backups than travel time delays. With only 200 m storage at an 8% downgrade this will be a critical test of safety and de-icing. I'd be curious what other speed mitigation is being looked at to prevent cars from flying off the highway at 100 km/h into Simcoe/Harbour Streets.

Attachments

• Pages from York-Bay-Yonge Interchange ESR.pdf
    435.1 KB · Views: 528
I'd be curious what other speed mitigation is being looked at to prevent cars from flying off the highway at 100 km/h into Simcoe/Harbour Streets.

A traffic light? Other cars? Pedestrians and bikes? The intelligence of a two-year-old?

Crazy sentiment in this forum, but people who drive cars aren't murderous idiots.

No, they do not generally intend to be, BUT if you see the number of drivers who are on the phone or texting they can often be very dangerous.

Is this a problem at Jameson? No. Is it a problem at the eastbound Spadina ramp? No. Is it a problem at the DVP and Lake Shore? Nope. DVP and Eastern/Richmond? Nope. Wynford? Nope.

People are capable of using their brakes properly.

Where's the Gardiner "isn't a barrier" crowd?
Oh, I'm here. The rail line is the barrier.

That doesn't mean I'm not in favour of knocking it down though ...

I'm amazed how fast they are moving - just the difference from what I saw on Saturday is amazing.

The only downside I can see is that the blank wall of the Harbour Plaza podium is now very visible.

It's to be expected I guess, but it's ironic that the buildings facing what will be a gorgeous new park and promenade were formerly facing an off ramp so we've got a big ugly parking garage and buildings with no windows at that spot. Do we think that parking garage will get torn down and redeveloped?

Back