Toronto Lower Simcoe Ramp | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto

It's more the safety concerns associated with mainline backups than travel time delays. With only 200 m storage at an 8% downgrade this will be a critical test of safety and de-icing. I'd be curious what other speed mitigation is being looked at to prevent cars from flying off the highway at 100 km/h into Simcoe/Harbour Streets.

Rumble strips? Works wonders in rural highways where there is 20 km of driving and then a stop sign. If you have gone over these fast you understand how quickly they make you react.

And for winter...this is ideal for in-road heating. It will be hard to increase the de-icing on the ramp as the plow will have to drive all the way back to Jamison to get back to the ramp (in traffic a 1 hr round trip).

I used to walk under this ramp down York almost every day. It's really disorienting because it truly feels like a completely unknown part of the city.

Today, they were mostly doing cleanup. The hoe rams were park on the ramp. Didn't seem to be doing any demolition. There's about 100ft of the Harbour ramp left and the final half curve of the York ramp. I'll walk by lower Simcoe later to see if there's any progress on the new ramp.

I'm dying for some updates on this. What is the latest on the York and Bay off ramps? No pic updates in a few days. Thanks.

Here ya go:

WP_20170526_12_16_43_Pro.jpg

Attachments

• WP_20170526_12_16_43_Pro.jpg
    WP_20170526_12_16_43_Pro.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 223
Starting tonight as well on Sat, the rest of the ramps will be torn down, since most of the office workers will be at home.

They were down to the last little bit of the Harbour ramp today. The curved Simcoe ramp didn't seem to be under demolition since the long weekend. I guess there's no rush since it's now contained within the park and as far as I know, there are no finished plans for the park yet.
IMG_9810.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_9810.JPG
    IMG_9810.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 246
Remember when...

...the Gardiner did reach Leslie Street.

Are there any really good pics of it still standing? I should have taken pics when I used to bike past, but that was in the days of film...who thought of wasting film and development on that? I remember biking around the ramp at the southeast corner of Leslie and Lake Shore across from the Brewers Retail warehouse. It was a lot like the York ramp.

Last edited:

Back