Toronto Lower Simcoe Ramp | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto

York Simcoe off ramp was a disaster before it open and a major issue why York intersection is a mess. today. Traffic shouldn't be allow to use York St coming off the Simcoe Ramp as that is the main cause for the backup.

The question now, what will happen if the Yonge off ramp gets built under Ford to replace the current Bay on Ramp and a the Jarvis off ramp if it every happens?? It has already screw Pinnacle One site.

The Jarvis off ramp is as bad as the Simcoe off ramp and more so with the Bay on ramp.

Its a good thing that I may use either of those off ramps a few times a year if that, otherwise too stressful for me to do it more than that.

That darn Gardiner is causing so much traffic chaos - let's just tear the whole thing down!

I'm also okay with removal all on/off ramps through the core and reducing it to a 2 lane (1 each direction) elevated highway for through traffic that keeps being brought up as being essential.

This is no worse than driving in N.Y. City or Chicago. It’s really not that hard. Really. But yes, cut and cover the big G, redo the ramps as you go along, create some open space and a transit corridor above the ‘new Ville-Marie’ and practice some subsistence farming as well if you wish…..but can I keep my tractor, retrofitting the bank barn to stable draft horses is going to be quite the job, and I’m not sure they will adapt well to the newer gps plowIng and seeding technologies….

This is no worse than driving in N.Y. City
I enjoy driving in NYC, at least on Manhattan Island. First of all, there are police everywhere ensuring that drivers do not block the box or illegally park and that pedestrians do not cross on red signals. Next, there are tons of one way streets which width allows for bike lanes and onstreet parking while still having three or four lanes for cars. And their traffic signals seem to be better synchronized. Lastly, they have a ban on aggressive honking.

Last edited:
I enjoy driving in NYC, at least on Manhattan Island. First of all, there are police everywhere ensuring that drivers do not block the box or illegally park and that pedestrians do not cross on red signals.
This is absolutely not true. Maybe a few specific intersections, but there are plenty of places where the box is blocked and there are no cops in sight. And, in NYC pedestrians will cross whenever there is any lull in traffic, red light or not. Hell - half the time people will stand a few feet out from the curb just to get a jump on that lull.
Next, there are tons of one way streets which width allows for bike lanes and onstreet parking while still having three or four lanes for cars.
There are bike lanes and there are bike lanes. Yes, there are avenues with 3-4 lanes and hardened bike lanes, but they generally won’t have on-street parking (unless you’re counting double-parkers). I think there are a few in Manhattan that have both? Otherwise, the streets with on-street parking are generally painted lanes only, and if you’re a cyclist you’ll spend A LOT of your time dodging double-parkers.

That said, Manhattan has undergone a sea change in bike lane infrastructure in the last 5 years.
And their traffic signals seem to be better synchronized. Lastly, they have a ban on aggressive honking.
Yeah - absolutely, the signals are way better synchronized; if you handle your speed right you can catch a green wave.

I don’t know that the ban on aggressive honking does much. Anecdotally it actually used to be worse pre-pandemic…

The thing about NYC is you don't even NEED to drive. I have never driven in NYC and have zero intention to ever do so. What possible reason would I need to drive in NYC? If Toronto had anything approaching NYC levels of subway, we'd be much better off.

The thing about NYC is you don't even NEED to drive. I have never driven in NYC and have zero intention to ever do so. What possible reason would I need to drive in NYC? If Toronto had anything approaching NYC levels of subway, we'd be much better off.
That is true……to an extent. If you are driving with a client and they want to show off their high tech parking loft etc etc, next to their office, you get to drive to NY from NJ, from White Plains, , from Cold Harbour… lots of people drive to NY.

It really depends on the neighborhood you live in. Plenty of people drive, which is why the upcoming congestion charges are contentious - even in the city. I think people forget how big Brooklyn and Queens are, and how spotty the rapid transit coverage is compared to Manhattan. (Oh - and of course, Staten Island.)

Same reasons as Toronto. Heading out of town where there are no decent transit options. Our moving large objects.

Just got off this ramp this morning for the first time in ages, and it was fine (at the peak of rush hour) - it was the rest that was a shit show (going up Yonge)...

Next, there are tons of one way streets which width allows for bike lanes and onstreet parking while still having three or four lanes for cars.
This.

I feel like the Toronto core needs to see many streets converted into one ways. There is an argument from retail I know, that one way streets are not friendly, but I think those days are in the past and there are great ways to do this that are urban and retail friendly. It's like Toronto still thinks of itself as a smaller city from decades ago and can't wrap it's head around the idea that most major urban centres move to one ways in order to keep traffic flowing properly, except where you have larger boulevards like Jarvis or University.

I think one-ways can make struggling downtowns worse (i.e., Hamilton) and can also be bad for transit services forcing many to walk an extra block. But in places with immense density (i.e., NYC) it doesn't seem to hurt the urban fabric. There aren't a lot of obvious places in Toronto for them though, except maybe Bay St and Church St.

Back