Toronto Lower Simcoe Ramp | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto

It does increase throughput, ask any traffic engineer. It causes a bit of a logjam on the other side of the intersection but overall improves vehicle throughput. The merging has time to work itself out once the light has gone red again and no additional vehicles are coming from the ramp.

You know what, I looked at the image wrong and got confused. Whoops. Ramp's so short and York was obscured that I thought I was looking at the whole ramp with a lane added/removed.

January 28, 2018:
His worship the Mayor and his entourage arrive for the big celebratory announcement.
file2-4.jpeg

file1-5.jpeg

An hour or so later, the cars and trucks appear.
file2-2.jpeg

Life is back normal.
file1-1.jpeg

Attachments

• file2-4.jpeg
    file2-4.jpeg
    157 KB · Views: 408
  • file1-5.jpeg
    file1-5.jpeg
    155.4 KB · Views: 435
  • file2-2.jpeg
    file2-2.jpeg
    190.6 KB · Views: 421
  • file1-1.jpeg
    file1-1.jpeg
    143.7 KB · Views: 437
Drove down the ramp last night for the first time. It neither feels steep, or short when you're actually on it. The whole experience was a huge improvement, especially as I hit all the Simcoe, York, Bay and Yonge lights on green.

traffic looked noticably improved on the gardiner too. Jarvis is my regular ramp, looking forward to it being back to it's normal low traffic self.

At 28 seconds there is a animated motorist breaking the law! Can anyone spot what they did wrong? (silly new nanny law but still a law)
Are you referring to the eastbound yellow car turning southbound while there is a pedestrian crossing?

As of January 1, 2016, drivers - including cyclists - must stop and yield the whole roadway at pedestrian crossovers, school crossings and other locations where there is a crossing guard.

These new rules do not apply to pedestrian crosswalks at intersections with stop signs or traffic signals, unless a school crossing guard is present.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/safety/pedestrian-safety.shtml

Are you referring to the eastbound yellow car turning southbound while there is a pedestrian crossing?

As of January 1, 2016, drivers - including cyclists - must stop and yield the whole roadway at pedestrian crossovers, school crossings and other locations where there is a crossing guard.

These new rules do not apply to pedestrian crosswalks at intersections with stop signs or traffic signals, unless a school crossing guard is present.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/safety/pedestrian-safety.shtml

Strange. My nephew just failed his driving test in Etobicoke for this reason. Waited for a pedestrian to cross 3 lanes plus the median and then started to turn left. Was told he had to wait for the pedestrian to cross all 6 lanes before he could turn left and failed.

I guess the tester must have been on a power trip. Next stop for my nephew is Peterborough or some other smaller city.

My GO bus used this ramp this morning.

Worked well, then an easy left turn for the GO bus onto Bay towards the bus terminal. It actually seemed to save a few minutes of double-backing. Maybe 5 minutes. I need more trips over the next few days to be sure of average time savings, but it's quite a significant timesaver for Hamilton 16 Express.

With Aldershot GO parking lot consistently full, I've been catching more Hamilton 16 Expresses now (mostly the new roomy double deckers) if I didn't board the 7:15am GoTrain.

how long is the express trip? The QEW is a long, traffic clogged route to take. Or does it typically take the 407 to go around Oakville/Burlington?

And yes, I think this will really increase throughput capacity over the old ramp.

Back