Toronto Lower Don Lands Redevelopment | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

The footbridges were going to happen, but they were killed by the vociferous complaints of residents who didn't like their view of the Lake being blocked.
The footbridges were NOT junked due to any resident complaints, they remain on hold due to the usual 'no $$$' problem.

Both of these statements have truth in them, more in DSC's than the former.

1) The only bridge that arrived at 'implementation' was the Spadina Quay' bridge. Vociferous objections by residents of the adjacent condo did cause the project to be deferred (not cancelled) as WT and the City didn't expect the opposition and didn't want to spend $ on re-designing that bridge.

2) No other bridges were actually put forward for implementation and they remain as @DSC noted, 'unfunded' future projects.

They will happen in due course.

I'm frankly surprised they didn't do one bridge where resident objections weren't a likely issue (police basin?) but they didn't, they moved on to other projects.

Last edited:
That's such an unfortunate result with backtracking due to a few owners on the Spadina Quay bridge. Hopefully there were some people speaking for the rest of the city residents that would have appreciated these bridges. Glad to hear they will likely be done in the future. The outcome should be based on the greater good...sorry I am a perennial utopist.

Edit - i realize it was mostly a $$ issue, but even for the one bridge, there should be no 'veto' by one building's residents.

Both of these statements have truth in them, more in DSC's than the former.

1) The only bridge that arrived at 'implementation' was the Spadina Quay' bridge. Vociferous objections by residents of the adjacent condo did cause the project to be deferred (not cancelled) as WT and the City didn't expect the opposition and didn't want to spend $ on re-designing that bridge.

2) No other bridges were actually put forward for implementation and they remain as @DSC noted, 'unfunded' future projects.

They will happen in due course.

I'm frankly surprised they didn't do one bridge where resident objections weren't a likely issue (police basin?) but they didn't, they moved on to other projects.
Whoa, I live right here and never even heard about this project (didn't get any consultation notices). I think it's a great project. Who complained? Makes no sense to me. It doesn't block any views whatsoever, and increases the public walkways, which is much needed due to the popularity of the area in the summer.

Whoa, I live right here and never even heard about this project (didn't get any consultation notices). I think it's a great project. Who complained? Makes no sense to me. It doesn't block any views whatsoever, and increases the public walkways, which is much needed due to the popularity of the area in the summer.

The discussion was a long time ago. Might take me sometime to dig up the details.

For others, all the bridges do show as projects on the WT website:

How long have you live there as this goes back over a decade or so?

There was strong oppositions to those bridges from blocking my view to there are people who will be looking into my place and invading my privacy. Too noisy and etc.

Funding has been an issues not only for these bridges and walkway, but for others things that still exist today. Somethings have been built that exceeding the spending level for it in the first place or the cost was under estimated in the first place.

There was talk at one time not to built the bridge there and carry on for the rest of the waterfront, but that bridge did remain in the plan to be built at a later date once funding could be obtained for the bridges. Lack of fund has deferred the plan to some unknown date at this time.

You know we can't have nice looking things in this city like other places around the world that do have them.

From ages ago:

AoD

Excellent digging Alvin!

Just to move things forward for the click-averse, the relevant section of the post AoD linked to is here:

1683226019661.png

The link for the report is now broken.

It has never returned to Council but WT are continuing to work on Lake Shore East and the bridge rebuild as though it is not there so I think you can delete it from your useful maps. It is noted as something to be studied by City Planning in 2023 or 2024 but Metrolinx have said the line can no longer link to the main line so I think it's all for show. It's gone!
Hold up, you mean to tell me at a time that the province is putting out policy direction with extra emphasis on freight supportive communities, a provincial agency is not supportive of making a freight supportive community?

What the hell is going on at Union Station.

Hold up, you mean to tell me at a time that the province is putting out policy direction with extra emphasis on freight supportive communities, a provincial agency is not supportive of making a freight supportive community?

What the hell is going on at Union Station.
Read the Report: https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2022/ex/bgrd/backgroundfile-225283.pdf

This 2022 Report leaves the door open to a freight line being re-laid at some indeterminate time in the future but implies that those wanting it will need to pay for it and does not answer the rather large problem that Metrolinx has said it can no longer link into the main line @ the Don Yard. I also like rail for freight but industry did not use it when it was there and there is not likely to be more industry there in the future.

Read the Report: https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2022/ex/bgrd/backgroundfile-225283.pdf

This 2022 Report leaves the door open to a freight line being re-laid at some indeterminate time in the future but implies that those wanting it will need to pay for it and does not answer the rather large problem that Metrolinx has said it can no longer link into the main line @ the Don Yard. I also like rail for freight but industry did not use it when it was there and there is not likely to be more industry there in the future.
I agree with the report, and I have no qualms with ripping it up until it's needed again. What I have a problem with is Metrolinx sending a signal that it "can't" (read unwilling to) provide a connection for it, making the possibility of reinstating it DOA.

I agree with the report, and I have no qualms with ripping it up until it's needed again. What I have a problem with is Metrolinx sending a signal that it "can't" (read unwilling to) provide a connection for it, making the possibility of reinstating it DOA.
As I STRONGLY doubt that anyone will ever pay to re-lay the tracks, I think you should not worry too much about whether Metrolinx will ever allow them to be connected.

How long have you live there as this goes back over a decade or so?

There was strong oppositions to those bridges from blocking my view to there are people who will be looking into my place and invading my privacy. Too noisy and etc.

Funding has been an issues not only for these bridges and walkway, but for others things that still exist today. Somethings have been built that exceeding the spending level for it in the first place or the cost was under estimated in the first place.

There was talk at one time not to built the bridge there and carry on for the rest of the waterfront, but that bridge did remain in the plan to be built at a later date once funding could be obtained for the bridges. Lack of fund has deferred the plan to some unknown date at this time.

You know we can't have nice looking things in this city like other places around the world that do have them.
I have been here since 2015, so about 8 years. Would love to see this built!

I have been here since 2015, so about 8 years. Would love to see this built!
So you came in after the opposition to to the bridges.

Would be interesting to find out what the the views are today for the bridge and how many of the opposition owners are still there.

Regardless if the opposition has change to supporting the bridges, lack of funds will still be an issue like it has been in the past.

So you came in after the opposition to to the bridges.

Would be interesting to find out what the the views are today for the bridge and how many of the opposition owners are still there.

Regardless if the opposition has change to supporting the bridges, lack of funds will still be an issue like it has been in the past.
My guess is that the harbourfront rebuild was just finishing up around that time, so people were probably opposing any construction whatsoever on the basis that they just endured a significant construction project that affected their lives for quite some time. Similar to the opposition I expect we'll see to the Eglinton street revitalization -- despite it being a good project, people will oppose it due to disruption. My guess is the sentiment will now be very different.

Back