Toronto Lower Don Lands Redevelopment | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

The aftermath:

1721230295216.jpeg

‘Land o’ Lakes’:

IMG_4580.jpeg

Murky and some flotsam and jetsam:

IMG_4581.jpeg

IMG_4584.jpeg

Appears to be the birth of a new path near the north end of Lemon.

IMG_4582.jpeg

Finessing the edges…

IMG_4583.jpeg

Meanwhile near Orange, life (and tree planting) must go on…

IMG_4593.jpeg

Surveying the debris…

IMG_4595.jpeg

IMG_4596.jpeg

They will undoubtedly have to clean this up…

IMG_4589.jpeg

IMG_4592.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4579.jpeg
    IMG_4579.jpeg
    211.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 1721230162308.jpeg
    1721230162308.jpeg
    205.9 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Speaking of, was Evergreen Brickworks flooded yesterday? Any pics?

I remember walking though there things like power outlets etc are all mounted 5 feet up the walls and some original pillars have a red line on them showing how high a flood they expect to roll through there every few decades.

Last night went and looked at Bayview & Dundas. There were fish as long as an adult's arm splashing around in the water covering Bayview. Some homeless guys that live under the bridge were trying to grab them. Funny to be able to say you caught fish on the Bayview Extension.

1721231923172.png

Credit Donna Chong - Beauty of the Don

Great shots of waters around Lemon & Cherry. I forget the scale of the river always looking at it from the drone. It really is big. Seeing the guy in the boat puts it in perspective. I guess all that debris floats so it's relatively easy to clean up, but will they have to eventually dredge the new river at some point years from now? And how do they do that without disturbing all those HUGE stones they put down?

Great shots of waters around Lemon & Cherry. I forget the scale of the river always looking at it from the drone. It really is big. Seeing the guy in the boat puts it in perspective. I guess all that debris floats so it's relatively easy to clean up, but will they have to eventually dredge the new river at some point years from now? And how do they do that without disturbing all those HUGE stones they put down?

The sediment management area now under construction (by the Don yard) widen the river and slows down the flow to allow for suspended matter to settle, making it easier to deal with.

As to dredging the new river - the protective geotextile liner isolating the bed of the river from the contaminated soils underneath might be a challenge. I think the river was engineered in a way that would "flush" the deposits?

AoD

I think the new river bed has been designed to 'self-scour just like real rivers do. The reason the Keating Channel needed to be dredged was that the water volumes /speeds were not strong enough to do this and the channel was poorly designed with tall straight walls that did not cause 'eddies'. They never, as far as I know, dredged further north than the Lake Shore bridge and do not expect to need to dredge the new valley either. I think they (WT) plan to do a major dredge of the Keating in next few months and then only need to deal with it occasionally - Ports Toronto have said they will not do more dredging there , so if any is done it will be a City responsibility.

Back