Toronto Lower Don Lands Redevelopment | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

Hard to believe the Keating Channel will look like this one day.

Keating%20CHannel.jpg
Absolutely drooling over this

This would seem a good moment to update everyone on the schedule for the months ahead, as per the agenda for the next WT FARM Ctte:

1708114111855.png

This one in particular will interest Mr. Flood It............who also goes by @hawc LOL

1708114180691.png

Waasayishkodenayosh/Wonscotonach - the Anishinaabemowin name for the Don River. Sounds appropriate to me,

AoD
It is interesting seeing and hearing the names of places, objects, and animals which originate and were used going back centuries and millennia in a place where one lives - yet for the very first time.

Waasayishkodenayosh/Wonscotonach - the Anishinaabemowin name for the Don River. Sounds appropriate to me,

AoD
That's a Don mouth-ful.

I think Wonscotonach would be appropriate--it is within the realm of English phonetics and has a hope of being remembered. Anglos would balk at Waasayishkodenayosh and call it something else/abbreviated.

Chimney at that angle almost looks it could play a tune... 🙀

That's a Don mouth-ful.

I think Wonscotonach would be appropriate--it is within the realm of English phonetics and has a hope of being remembered. Anglos would balk at Waasayishkodenayosh and call it something else/abbreviated.
I'm very curious what the common pronunciation of Wonscotonach would settle on. This Global News article says its proper pronunciation is "waw-sco-taw-NAWSH". And this song backs that up, though the singing leaves pitch placement ambiguous when spoken.
But my initial read of it as a native Anglo is "wahn-skoh-TAH-natch" (last vowel like snatch, or possibly reduced to something like pitch). I could see lots of people being confused by the n's when the proper pronunciation doesn't seem to use nasal sounds, or by the ch on the end which is used more like it is in French.

Back