Toronto Lower Don Lands Redevelopment | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

A pic from that faraway land known as yesteryear....

View attachment 480017

Mel Lastman, Mike Harris and Jean Chretien announcing the formation of Waterfront Toronto in the year 2000.
Three levels of government it 'twas, and three it has remained.
I wasn't thinking of those three when I posted about the cohesion business...I wasn't going back far enough. My mistake and my bad. But yeah, those three had more cohesion in their own peculiar ways more so than those same three levels today, IMO.

A pic from that faraway land known as yesteryear....

View attachment 480017

Mel Lastman, Mike Harris and Jean Chretien announcing the formation of Waterfront Toronto in the year 2000.
Three levels of government it 'twas, and three it has remained.

Kind of incredible how much of a change there had been over the last 20 years.

AoD

Kind of incredible how much of a change there had been over the last 20 years.

AoD
Five years before the Pan-Am games, even. The entire Canary and Distillery districts were derelict, full of junk and brownfields, Regent Park was eight years off or so, and the Portlands were not even a thought.
In retrospect, the progress on the entire lower east side has been incredible. It's refreshing to be reminded that we do get things done, and they can be excellently handled.

Five years before the Pan-Am games, even. The entire Canary and Distillery districts were derelict, full of junk and brownfields, Regent Park was eight years off or so, and the Portlands were not even a thought.

Though West Don Lands had to be flood-proofed before development could proceed, and I do recall they're building the berm at around that time. The Portlands (Lower Don) EA process was contemporaneous to that as well.

AoD

A few pics from today.

Looking west from (new) Cherry and Commissioners. Canoe Cove in the background.
PXL_20230525_223027477.jpg

From along the new Cherry St.
PXL_20230525_222927333.jpg

PXL_20230525_224115769.jpg

PXL_20230525_224133158.jpg

Sorta off-topically: ...if one was to look at all this as tax dollars hard at work, I think it entirely misses the point here. Because this more about restoring the past mistakes we have made, as well as well as bringing about sustainable land that we the public can take part in and enjoy. Bean counting is not necessary here, as the pics above aptly demonstrate, IMO.

Sorta off-topically: ...if one was to look at all this as tax dollars hard at work, I think it entirely misses the point here. Because this more about restoring the past mistakes we have made, as well as well as bringing about sustainable land that we the public can take part in and enjoy. Bean counting is not necessary here, as the pics above aptly demonstrate, IMO.
All true BUT the berm also protects huge parts of the City from flooding thus allowing for more buildings and increases in property values which bring in more taxes. It can also be describes as an investment. And WT often does so.

If one was to look at all this as tax dollars hard at work, I think it entirely misses the point here. Because this more about restoring the past mistakes we have made, as well as well as bringing about sustainable land that we the public can take part in and enjoy.

All of that done with our tax dollars. It's not a bad or good thing. It's just a fact.

Back