News   May 10, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   May 10, 2024
 1.8K     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 1.1K     0 

Toronto Loses Grand Prix

there was an article in the Star yesterday saying that the GP involved some fairly heavy subsidies and waivers of permit fees. If it comes back it should be with mostly private money, not public.

I have no idea how thousands of people can sit and watch cars do like 200 laps. It's more brutal than watching a baseball or cricket game.

I have no idea how thousands of people can sit and watch cars do like 200 laps. It's more brutal than watching a baseball or cricket game.

It's not so much watching it as the experiencing the event itself.

Such a random comment can be made for just about any event. Luminato? Who would walk around the lake front staring at lights. Nuit Blanche? Who wants to step over a bunch of bums at 2 am just to look at a piece of crap made by another bum. Autoshow? Hail to the oil deity. The EX? Better keep those carnies out of my city! The Royal Agricultural Fair? What a stink! Go back to Joe Dirtville. ______ Opera? Bunch of art farts. Summerlicious/Winterlicious? Just a reason to go to a bunch of overpriced restaurants. Kensington? Is it anymore than just slum? St. Laurance Market? It's not even on the lake anymore. Besides all my food comes pre processed.

really you look at the festivals and most are mediocre but to see the sights and sounds with all those people makes all that special.

It's not so much watching it as the experiencing the event itself.

Such a random comment can be made for just about any event. Luminato? Who would walk around the lake front staring at lights. Nuit Blanche? Who wants to step over a bunch of bums at 2 am just to look at a piece of crap made by another bum. Autoshow? Hail to the oil deity. The EX? Better keep those carnies out of my city! The Royal Agricultural Fair? What a stink! Go back to Joe Dirtville. ______ Opera? Bunch of art farts. Summerlicious/Winterlicious? Just a reason to go to a bunch of overpriced restaurants. Kensington? Is it anymore than just slum? St. Laurance Market? It's not even on the lake anymore. Besides all my food comes pre processed.

Here, here WH! There comes a point when every annual event is exposed for the plastically fake, avant gard-esque, semiotic attempts made to market Toronto as a world-class city worthy of paying for the same ol' crap. There was a time, before the harshities of life set in, when these events were all the rage for me. Now... blah, you wait for the 11 o'clock broadcast and then come to the realization: "OMG, I was gonna waste $X and my time to see that? That!? I sure dodged a bullet there, friendo!"

Don't get me wrong, they all have their practicality to someone(s), but this big excitement and thrill wanes off the longer one resides in the GTA. I say bring back the derby to Toronto but repackage it somewhat to appeal to a broader audience than just die-hard motorracing fanatics :cool:.

There comes a point when every annual event is exposed for the plastically fake, avant gard-esque, semiotic attempts made to market Toronto as a world-class city worthy of paying for the same ol' crap.

I don't think the Grand Prix pushed many boundaries nor did it pretend to. How do you become worthy of paying for the same old crap. Wouldn't paying for the same old crap imply non-worthiness? Is the Grand Prix the only thing being exposed for plastically fake, avant gard-esque, semiotic attempts?

I don't think the Grand Prix pushed many boundaries nor did it pretend to. How do you become worthy of paying for the same old crap. Wouldn't paying for the same old crap imply non-worthiness? Is the Grand Prix the only thing being exposed for plastically fake, avant gard-esque, semiotic attempts?

You've gotta admit alot of these summertime events are "staged", making Toronto seem more diversified and cosmopolitan than it really is though. It's like how much redundant street carnies does it take before you'd rather escape town and spend your $ for thrills elsewhere. Niagara Falls for me is still exciting even though I've been there multiple times now. There's always something new to try out and it never gets old.

Alot of T.O. events are so PG and sanitized it makes you put on a permafrost smile that'll have you clawing at the medicine cabinet for some novacaine once the day's done. I done and seen everything mainstream (Yonge Street festival, Beaches Jazz, Pride parade, Caribana, CHIN picnic, Masala Mehndi Masti, Corso Italia day, the Ex, SARStock). I just want something new to experience that's all. And for what it's worth, if the derby makes more tourist dollars for the city than several of those events combined, I say why not buy earplugs if you find one weekend of revved engines so aggrivating ;)?!

You've gotta admit alot of these summertime events are "staged", making Toronto seem more diversified and cosmopolitan than it really is though. It's like how much redundant street carnies does it take before you'd rather escape town and spend your $ for thrills elsewhere. Niagara Falls for me is still exciting even though I've been there multiple times now. There's always something new to try out and it never gets old.

Staged in what sense? Are there other cities who have impromptu Champ Car events? Or suddenly there's a Jazz Fest going on when minutes before it was just a couple people eating lunch?

Alot of T.O. events are so PG and sanitized it makes you put on a permafrost smile

Pride is still very much not a PG and sanitized event, ditto Caribbanna.

Globe

Link to article

Deal close to bring Grand Prix back to Toronto

JEFF PAPPONE AND JENNIFER LEWINGTON

Globe and Mail Update

April 29, 2008 at 7:06 PM EDT

A return of the Grand Prix auto race to Toronto in 2009 hangs on down-to-the-wire negotiations set to wrap up Wednesday.

Grand Prix Association president Charlie Johnstone said on Tuesday he is “cautiously optimistic†a deal can be reached with Andretti Green Promotions, which signed a letter of intent to purchase the assets of the money-losing Grand Prix in March.

With the Toronto race losing in excess of $4-million a year, according to sources, a key issue is how much of the shortfall would be covered by Andretti Green and how much by the provincial government and Tourism Toronto, both with a financial stake in a three-day event that generates $50-million for the local economy.

“Negotiations were moving forward and in the right direction. There are a number of legal and business issues to be resolved,†said Mr. Johnstone. “My guess is that there will be an announcement Thursday.â€

Former racer Michael Andretti, now chairman of Andretti Green, won the then-named Molson Indy seven times.

On Tuesday, a spokesman for the Indy Racing League, which determines the 2009 schedule, said “we view Toronto as a very attractive location for an Indy Car series race in the future.â€

But Indy Racing League spokesman Fred Nation added: “Of course, that depends on having a promoter in place who can successfully promote the event.â€

Alicia Farrow, a spokeswoman for Ontario Tourism minister Peter Fonseca, said “we are hopeful of an announcement of the return of the Grand Prix to Toronto in the near future.â€

Also optimistic is Toronto deputy mayor Joe Pantalone, chairman of Exhibition Place, site of the mid-summer race cancelled for this year.

“The Toronto community is putting in its best efforts and we are hoping they see that and agree to have the race here in 2009 and beyond,â he said.

Star

Link to article

Indy racing returns to Toronto in 2009

Canadian Press

Jul 30, 2008
Michael Andretti has another triumph in Toronto.

Andretti has helped bring open-wheel racing back to the city where he posted seven victories of his own as a driver. The Toronto Indy was one of 18 races on next year’s IndyCar series schedule, announced Wednesday.

The race had been trimmed when Champ Car and IndyCar unified earlier this year. Then Andretti Green Promotions, of which Andretti is a co-owner, bought the assets of the Grand Prix Association of Toronto in May and was instrumental in bringing the race back for next year.

“Obviously, I do think it holds a really special place in his heart,†said Andretti Green Racing co-owner Kevin Savoree in a conference call. “From the first time the opportunity became available, Michael ... felt like we had to put a deal together and make a deal happen.

“He’s been very, very actively involved.â€

Toronto’s race, on an 11-turn, 1.721-mile street-course at Exhibition Stadium, will take place July 12, followed by Edmonton on July 26.

IndyCar has also added Long Beach on April 19, while dropping IRL’s Nashville race from the schedule.

Savoree said Toronto’s race, which debuted in 1986, has a celebrated past.

“There’s much history, just so much history here,†he said. ``So many great champions and I think in a way, that feeds into the heritage of open-wheel racing and IndyCar racing.â€

He added that the reception has been strong in the city, despite the fact that no official announcement had been made about the future of the race.

“I know the Indy Toronto event is going to be very special for fans here in Canada, and especially here in Toronto, they love their open-wheel racing,†he said. “Everyone we’ve visited, they’ve just been so excited to know we’re going to be back.

“The reception that we had here in Toronto with the province, with city officials, with tourism, with the officials at Exhibition Place, it’s such an attitude of can-do. I think next July people will really see that and we’re looking forward to that.â€

Organizers are still looking for a title sponsor, though Savoree said a deal could be done soon.

“We want somebody who just wants to really get out there, get their name out there, work with us in the market, and we’re pretty close.†he said. “We’re actually in draft stage in a contract with a title partner.

“We’ve got a lot of those building blocks in place, and I think we’re pretty close to having that last building block there. We’re going to very proud of this event next year, I can promise you that.â€

Other minor changes have been made for next year’s schedule.

The opener will be a road race in St. Petersburg, Fla., on April 5. The finale will be Oct. 11 at the Homestead-Miami Speedway, where this season began.

The 2009 schedule features 10 oval races, three permanent road courses and five temporary circuits.

The Indy Japan 300 at Twin Ring Motegi in Japan is shifting to Sept. 19 after running in April since 2003. This season, Danica Patrick won her only race there.

The 93rd Indianapolis 500 will be May 24.

2009 IRL IndyCar Series schedule

Sunday, April 5: St. Petersburg, Fla.

Sunday, April 19: Long Beach, Calif.

Sunday, April 26: Kansas

Sunday, May 24: Indianapolis

Sunday, May 31: Milwaukee

Sunday, June 6: Texas

Sunday, June 21: Iowa

Sunday, June 27: Richmond, Va.

Sunday, July 5: Watkins Glen (New York)

Sunday, July 12: Toronto

Sunday, July 26: Edmonton

Saturday, Aug. 1: Kentucky

Sunday, Aut. 9: Ohio

Sunday, Aug. 23: Infineon (California)

Saturday, Aug. 29: Chicago

Sunday, Sept. 6: Belle Isle Park (Detroit)

Saturday, Sept. 19: Japan

Sunday, Oct. 11:Miami

Back