News   May 10, 2024
 998     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 1K     0 

Toronto Loses Grand Prix

That's a good one, thanks. I'll talk that one up amongst my friends in the east end and we'll see if we can get somethin' happening.

West end girls and east end boys.

the latest anti-airshow excuse is that people in Parkdale who are refugees might get scared of and surprised by the extremely highly publicised airshow.

LOL! No one in their right mind would pick up that banner, would they?!

"Refugees" is perfect. Once you establish victimhood anything is possible - "not being in your right mind" and living in the east end, for example, would help forge a perfect west end girls/east end boys coalition to down the air show.

"Refugees" is perfect. Once you establish victimhood anything is possible - "not being in your right mind" and living in the east end, for example, would help forge a perfect west end girls/east end boys coalition to down the air show.

But that's just a modernization of that old lady on your street who used to steal your street hockey ball. The only, real, public good she's doing is in her own head - otherwise she's just being a kill-joy.

I'm sure there are some people on earth who truly get pleasure out of being a curmudgeon, but why should the rest of us humour them?

I've never played street hockey in my life. Your old lady doesn't sound like any west end girl I've met. Maybe she's your seester?

About half of all the aircraft ever built in this country were manufactured during the Second World War. Military training for pilots was first established in Toronto during the First World War, and the first mass-manufactured aircraft in Canada, the Curtiss JN-4 Canuck, was made in Toronto for World War One pilot training - before Canada even had an air force.

Isn't there some small, rural, Joe Dirtville out there in the boonies that'll take the car race and the air show off our hands - preferably on the same weekend? Maybe hold a rock concert for all the headbangers in wifebeater shirts too?

Thank god there's more room for diversity in the city than Urban Shocker would like...

Big events like the Grand Prix are great for the city. I hope it returns. Complaints about noise and traffic? Welcome to the city!!! Move to some rural Joe Dirtville if you want peace and quiet all year round.

I hope that IRL and Champ Car reuniting will make the series stronger. They don't have a hope in hell of competing with NASCAR in the US, they should really expand internationally. There are race tracks in cities all over the world that will never land Formula 1, but could settle for Champ Car. The best niche for Champ Car, IMO, is the be an alternative to Formula 1. Fi-lite :D

Isn't there some small, rural, Joe Dirtville out there in the boonies that'll take the car race and the air show off our hands - preferably on the same weekend? Maybe hold a rock concert for all the headbangers in wifebeater shirts too?

To me, city life is about mixing things up. High and low-brow, expensive beside cheap, new and old, boring and exciting. It's the one time when Hetero beats Homo.

(Heterogeneous vs. homogenous)

Update from today's Globe......they'll be back!

Race is on to find sponsors for 2009 contest
Toronto out of the running for 2008, but 'the Future looks very, very bright' for a return of the race, Grand Prix CEO says

JENNIFER LEWINGTON

CITY HALL BUREAU CHIEF

March 6, 2008

Now that the Grand Prix of Toronto is officially out for this year, the race is on to find corporate sponsors for an event that does not have a green light for 2009.

"It is a tight, tight, tight time frame," Grand Prix CEO Charlie Johnstone said yesterday, of the need to nail down private backers for a race that would run under the newly merged Indy Racing League.

He confirmed yesterday that Toronto is officially out of the circuit for this year's North American open-wheel race, but said "active and ongoing" negotiations are under way with potential private sponsors."

He stressed "the future looks very, very bright" for a return of the race, an early July staple of Toronto summers at Exhibition Place for the past 23 years. But he concedes that without multiyear sponsorships in place, "the race would be gone."

One sports marketing expert estimates Mr. Johnstone has barely a month to assemble sponsorship essential to persuade open-wheel racing owners that Toronto is a viable venue.

"He [Mr. Johnstone] has to get all the stakeholders on side, he needs some friends right now," said Richard Powers, assistant dean at the Rotman School of Management at the University of Toronto.

"The uncertainty [about the future of the race in Toronto] makes it very difficult to go out and secure any serious sponsorships, which a race like this requires," said Mr. Powers, who teaches sports marketing at Rotman.

"However, the race has been so successful in Toronto over the years, that there will likely be companies who will step up."

Terry Angstadt, president of the commercial division of the Indy Racing League (which now includes the Champ Car World Series that had operated here), said the new league has to confirm its 2009 schedule by the end of June.

While unable to confirm whether Toronto will be part of the circuit next year, he praised the Toronto race as "historically, a big and important event."

Deputy mayor and Exhibition Place chairman Joe Pantalone said he is "disappointed" that the race is off this year, but remains optimistic about Toronto's chances in 2009.

"Any sport that wants to have a North American presence cannot ignore Toronto," he said, citing the region's economy and population base. "We are ready to sit down and do everything we can reasonably to make the race happen in 2009 and beyond," he said.

A spokeswoman for provincial Tourism Minister Peter Fonseca, whose department has provided $850,000 in tourism grants to the Toronto race since 2003, said "we look forward to hearing from the organizers about their future plans for the 2009 race."

Back