News   May 10, 2024
 706     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 817     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 919     0 

Toronto Loses Grand Prix

Yes, I'd hate to have one of those things come down on my house. The air show noise is bad enough as it is.

NAMBLA? Not-Above-My-Backyard, Loud-Airplanes?

Anyway, surely you'd hate for anyone to crash and die - not just the bodies you have to shovel out of your daisies.

One weekend out of the year of car crashes and revelry pandemonium all bringing in an excess of fifty million sounds like a nice trade off to me, just saying. Now what's going to put T.O. on the map? Spamalot? We Will Rock You? :p lol!

For all the long sheer, agony of winter keeping Torontonians homebound, it's nice to have a world-class event like this hosted by this city during the summer months that citizens can go out to and enjoy. I hope it returns bigger and louder than before :cool:.

nascar-racing-2003-season-20060612010159409.jpg
VROOM!! VROOM!! Yeah!

There's an irritating helicopter that sometimes flies over deepest Riverdale at night and wakes the natives up. I think noise pollution is a real problem in the city, not just from auto races. If I had my own cache of heat-seeking missiles I'd be tempted to send up one or two of them now and then at the appropriate time - if I thought I could get away with it.

I just hope this means they can get rid of that hideous chain link fence on Lakeshore. Or does it? Is it there to keep people from sneaking in to the CNE for free?

One weekend out of the year of car crashes and revelry pandemonium all bringing in an excess of fifty million sounds like a nice trade off to me, just saying. Now what's going to put T.O. on the map? Spamalot? We Will Rock You? :p lol!

For all the long sheer, agony of winter keeping Torontonians homebound, it's nice to have a world-class event like this hosted by this city during the summer months that citizens can go out to and enjoy. I hope it returns bigger and louder than before :cool:.

nascar-racing-2003-season-20060612010159409.jpg
VROOM!! VROOM!! Yeah!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filippo_Tommaso_Marinetti

Let's Get Loud, Let's Get Loud .....

Interesting, if disappointing, news. While I have not had an interest in Formula Indy racing, Toronto cannot afford to lose important events.

I am surprised at the numbers of "peace and quiet" posters; let's have no events in Toronto that cause noise and bring in crowds.

As a contrast, having just spent the weekend in Singapore, that city/country is now preparing for its first F-1 Grand Prix race in September. This event will be unique in that it will be a city circuit, a la Monte Carlo, but it will be run at night. Since the number of formula 1 races is fixed, the Singapore event comes at the cost of closing another one. The F-1 race shifted to Singapore was the US Grand Prix!

2295101007_ceaea084c3_o.jpg

As a point of interest on the type of crowds that F-1 racing attracts, grandstand seats at the start/finish line for the Malaysia Grand Prix next month are over US$600 each. I am sure prices in Singapore will be a bit more. They are projecting attendance of 80,000.

Toronto in 2007 had 10.6 million tourists spending $4.5 billion. UK was the largest overseas origin providing 280,000 visitors.

The target for Singapore in 2008 is 10.8 million tourist arrivals and US$11 billion in tourism receipts. In 2007, Singapore received 496,000 tourists from UK.

Speaking of noise and air pollution, the event that took me down to Singapore was their Air Show, now considered the third most important in the world after Farnborough and Orly. Lots of noise. Lots of people.

2295902852_5294782da4_o.jpg

2295887008_cef8835369_o.jpg

2295906546_3cb6dc0a73_o.jpg

The champion crowd pleaser, the 380 Airbus - quiet, maneuverable, amazing.

2295889714_9ed201b494_o.jpg

2295370161_788912a9a6_o.jpg

2295485105_47e2af6887_o.jpg

Oh, and there is even more noise and big crowds to come. Singapore also beat out Moscow to host the first Olympic Youth Games in 2010. Even the noise from the crowd of 5000 who turned out for the announcement from Lausanne were much too noisy.

2295879464_f93daa16ef_o.jpg

2296341464_2a6fe74c18_o.jpg

At least Stamford Raffles is quiet.

2296325468_129f1b636a_o.jpg

a

Looking forward to see that F1 race on television and I'm sure it will be spectacular. I am also saddened to hear the Toronto race is off for this year but I hope they will put it back in the schedule next year.

I would rather have the F1 race here though. Some of the tracks are architectural beauties and only seem to be getting better and better as new races are added. I know there was some talk a little while ago about having an F1 race through the streets of London.

I will miss the race, enjoyed watching the other races during the weekend as well.

I hope it returns.

In the meantime maybe we can have the homeless race using shopping carts. We can call the Mayor Miller constituents race...:D

the latest anti-airshow excuse is that people in Parkdale who are refugees might get scared of and surprised by the extremely highly publicised airshow.

Back