Toronto Living Shangri-La Toronto | 214.57m | 66s | Westbank | James Cheng

20110819017.jpg

Much as I dislike that median, and think that University Avenue would be greatly improved without it, and with fewer lanes of traffic, and with wider sidewalks with cafes etc., when I look at that photograph I'm tempted by the idea that it would also make a handsome large-scale sculpture park ( sans Gumby, of course ... ) from College all the way down to Queen, with the neutral coloured buildings as a backdrop.

driving down University Ave. tonight, SL is indeed looking alarmingly tall.....and still a ways to go...:cool:

Much as I dislike that median, and think that University Avenue would be greatly improved without it, and with fewer lanes of traffic, and with wider sidewalks with cafes etc., when I look at that photograph I'm tempted by the idea that it would also make a handsome large-scale sculpture park ( sans Gumby, of course ... ) from College all the way down to Queen, with the neutral coloured buildings as a backdrop.

You think University Ave. would be better if it wasn't a grand boulevard??

I very much disagree.. I wish it was entirely a grand boulevard, with the front street terminus that was originally designed.. It would make it look so good!

I really like the centre median, it makes for a pleasant and unique walking experience along University Avenue with the statues, beautifully tended perennials that overload the median and fountains (when they work). The sidewalks are unusually wide in most areas, north of about King Street well before the median begins, but the area pretty much dies after about 7pm except around Queen Street for lack of anything to do. I'm not sure people would make their way over there even if there were sidewalk cafes and restos., it's a pretty noisy street what with traffic (including lots of buses and trucks) and noise ricocheting off the buildings, not unlike Jarvis (mostly due to speed) or Bay Street.

Well, The_Architect, it used to be a grand boulevard before the median was inserted - a grand boulevard with wide sidewalks and mature trees and fewer vehicular lanes. So were other downtown streets such as Jarvis and Sherbourne. I think it's a swell model, and one that could be reintroduced on University. I've noticed, over the past few years as the Entertainment District and King West with the condos and Lightbox etc. has burgeoned, and with the Four Seasons Centre thrown into the mix, that University Avenue is becoming more of a pedestrian street in the evenings, hence my suggestion that it could be enlivened with cafes etc. But when I walked south on Spadina last week - where it becomes a bridge south of Front - and I looked west towards the new yellow pedestrian bridge and noticed the juxtaposition of it with the bright red sculpture that was moved there last fall, I also began to think how equally swell the University median might look as a linear sculpture park.

i dig university Avenue... but i've always found the accompanying architecture/building surroundings out of place/too cheap. A lot of dull-looking buildings with no class. (the historic buildings are obviously the exceptions). Shangri-la is great though,

this is horrible analogy, but the street will only be as good as the architecture surrounding it.... this doesn't really apply to University since the street itself is great with the statues, trees and all,

EDIT:

Awesome seeing Shangri-la in this promo for Yorkville Plaza!:

yorkville.jpg

Walked by the site today and noticed that they took the overhead cover off the sidewalk hoarding...and for some reason right underneath the tower too, even though they still have a while to go before pouring is done. Nevertheless, I got to see right up the East side of the tower and got some more vantage points of the articulation as well.

6063328848_3667ab9410_z.jpg

6063329394_bea57075ac_z.jpg

6062781799_d800a5ca4c_z.jpg

6063330318_9874a0b09f_z.jpg

6063330650_a0f55e5b01_z.jpg

holy cow that tapering looks good on the curtainwall from below! didn't realize how 3d it was!

and regarding the hoarding, it's weird why they removed some of it... nonetheless, a skyscrapergeek-photography dream come true!

random video i found on youtube of some dudes recording a video from Shangri-la... take in the views.... mute the audio (hehe jks)

By BassDoctor420 on youtube:
[video=youtube;Tnfkmfmm48w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tnfkmfmm48w[/video]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tnfkmfmm48w

edit:

another view showing window installation:

[video=youtube;-9aLn5geZfY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9aLn5geZfY&feature=channel_video_title[/video]

Last edited:
random video i found on youtube of some dudes recording a video from Shangri-la... take in the views.... mute the audio (hehe jks)

another view showing window installation:

Okeee- now we have a better idea why some of these highrises are dropping glass ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think that boulevard will be removed any time soon (thank goodness). Its an amazing bit of green in a downtown that doesn't have nearly enough of it. There are plenty of other streets that could be lined with bistros and the like. And being such a main through-fare I don't think many people would like sitting so close to so much traffic (as mentioned in an earlier post).

I wonder if we could actually go the other way. Take a few feet off of the sidewalks on either side of University, and expand the median into something large enough to be useful. If it was 10' wider there'd be room to put a couple cafes and some proper seating areas on the medians. Put some decorative iron fencing and hedges along the sides to keep out the traffic noise, add some nice paving, maybe a few tables with the inset chessboards like we used to have on Gould, it could be a really pleasant space.

Anyway... yesterday, i was out in the west end, and was walking by the water and saw a sick view of the skyline... I didn't have my camera on me, but my uncle did,

Trump, Shangri-la, Aura, ICE, and a million other projects will certainly make their mark on the skyline from here :D

shots by steveve's uncle:

6070913343_96765494b7_b.jpg

6070912577_fb910eb67a_b.jpg

Back