Toronto Living Shangri-La Toronto | 214.57m | 66s | Westbank | James Cheng

The top half of I42's photo looks like a futuristic Super Mario game (the sky, clouds, and metro hall is the castle). Fantastic.

one from rbc's roof...

Attachments

• shangrila from rbc.jpg
    shangrila from rbc.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 362
I think that might be a bit optimistic. But I guess it really depends on this winter. It'll be interesting to see how Toronto absorbs 5 5 star hotels all opening within a year or two of each other.

Daily Commercial News

Subterranean progress at the Shangri-la in Toronto
September 3, 2009

115.jpg

WILLIAM CONWAY/PROGRESS PHOTOGRAPHY

Below-grade work progresses on the Shangri-la Toronto hotel and residences in Toronto.

Construction manager for the 66-storey, 572-unit project is 180 University Management Inc. and the owner is Westbank Projects Corp.

The work includes a fitness centre, retail space, a theatre and eight levels of underground parking. Completion has been scheduled for early 2012.

The Shangri-la was designed by Hariri Pontarini Architects / James K M Cheng Architect Inc. Consultants are: Adjeleian Allen Rubeli Ltd. / Jones Kwong Kishi (structural); M.V. Shore Associates (1993) Ltd. / Sterling Cooper & Associates Ltd. (mechanical); Nemetz (S/A) & Associates Ltd. (electrical); and Phillips Farevaag Smallenberg (landscape). Subtrades include: Aro Excavating Ltd.; Hardrock Forming; Expo Iron Works (structural steel); Salit Steel Ltd. (rebar); Innocon Inc. (concrete); Lisi Mechanical Contracting Ltd.; OZZ Electric; York Sheet Metal Ltd. (HVAC); and ThyssenKrupp Elevator Ltd.

http://www.dailycommercialnews.com/article/id35182

Looking like early spring 2010 to reach ground level.

From what I hear they are pushing to be at ground level by January 2010...bout 15 days per floor. I was down there the other day, I really wish I had a camera. Its changed so much as they are now going ahead full steam.

Here's a shot I took of Shangri-la yesterday...

3887083393_94205677c3_b.jpg

Notice the slanted concrete... Could it be parking ramps... But parking levels so deep under ground... hmmm....

It is on the 2nd floor now...

Photo by me: steveve

Peace :)

it certainly is going to be a long drive down those multiple ramps to get to the bottom P8 level parking ~

yeah, I wouldn't be pleased to have to drive down five or six levels to park my car in such a high-end building. Perhaps staff will park for residents.

Given all of the parking spots in buildings around town, wouldn't it be a good idea for some entrepreneur to create a smart-phone application that would identify specific vacant parking spots on a real time basis, drawing from the many high-rise parking lots scattered around town. This would free up the excess capacity, but would require some kind of sensor in the parking stalls, and users would need codes to enter the garages (possibly creating security issues). Has anyone heard of an idea like this?

Pearson Airport T1 has sensors on every parking space but no smart-phone app. It has directional arrows that light up. Freeing up the excess capacity at Shangri-la wouldn't make tennants happy. People would arrive home to find no spots in their building because of a baseball game or GO service interruption that led to more people driving. If the applicaton was limited to public pay parking that would be fine.

Back