Toronto Living Shangri-La Toronto | 214.57m | 66s | Westbank | James Cheng

From the Hilton, this past Tuesday:

3734842311_e6b28421d1_o.jpg

Thanks all!

Hurray! Our city is getting built! Makes me smile when I get confirmation that a project is flyin'. Cuz when this boom is truly over, its not coming back for a long time, so we need a new stock of AAA buildings.

Too bad that much of what we got this boom were C- to D+ buildings.

Too bad that much of what we got this boom were C- to D+ buildings.

I have to disagree, in a sense.
Sp!re, One St. Thomas, Minto midtown, The Met, Montage(imo), London, Maruno, Casa, Telus (despite the stumpy appearance), West Harbour City, X, Absolute World, Panorama, possibly Ritz (don't think too much of it now but really we should all withhold judgment until its completed), Tiff, Boutique(so far), Uptown(maybe... depending on materials), 4 Seasons, Shangri-La, Burano(if its anything like Maruno), Aura (when built), Ice (if built), L (if built) & 300 Front(if built) are all well beyond C- to D+ buildings.
And yes while that would only constitute a minority in terms of the overall amount of developments that have gone up, I do believe that the prominence of those buildings will make up for the short comings of the others.

I also have to agree with you vegeta. Many of the best are yet to be finished! I believe this is mostly because the best designs came out towards the end of the cycle.

Sp!re, One St. Thomas, Minto midtown, The Met, Montage(imo), London, Maruno, Casa, Telus (despite the stumpy appearance), West Harbour City, X, Absolute World, Panorama, possibly Ritz (don't think too much of it now but really we should all withhold judgment until its completed), Tiff, Boutique(so far), Uptown(maybe... depending on materials), 4 Seasons, Shangri-La, Burano(if its anything like Maruno), Aura (when built), Ice (if built), L (if built) & 300 Front(if built) are all well beyond C- to D+ buildings.
And yes while that would only constitute a minority in terms of the overall amount of developments that have gone up, I do believe that the prominence of those buildings will make up for the short comings of the others.

I would add Gehry's AGO, Libeskind's Crystal ROM, KPMB's Gardiner Museum, and Alsop's Flying Tabletop to the list of quality cultural buildings delivered to us during this boom.

There's a lot to be pleased with if it is your inclination to be pleased.

Many of the best are yet to be finished! I believe this is mostly because the best designs came out towards the end of the cycle.

Most of the buildings under construction in the above pic were designed LONG before the “end of the cycle” and have been in sales for years – Festival Tower, Shangri-La, Ritz, Boutique, M5V (just to name a few).

I carefully stated "much" of what we got.
I agree with most of the completed projects that you list above but not the "under construction" or "yet to be built projects". There's also been maybe a dozen or so (that I've seen in person) mid-rise projects that are dynamite and several terrific loft conversions that should be noted. Overall some true "A" projects, but most of the remaining condo projects don't come close to the grade.
I hope Shangri-La & a few others you mention above turn out well, but we won't know until they're complete.
We're on the same page vegeta, but there's dozens & dozens of other buildings that only make the C or D grade this boom.

I'd take the Met off that list. Experience it in person and I'm sure you'll agree.

Let's discuss this under Buildings, Architecture & Urban Design / Met, The, + Encore at The Met (Edilcan, 43 + 33s, P+S)

Back