Toronto Library District Condominiums + Toronto's 99th Library | ?m | 29s | Context Development | KPMB

It could also be used in the new park that is going to lead from Cityplace to Fort York. That would give it some character.

March 13 2011 update

Previous photo that I forgot about:

IMG_5231.jpg

I hope they preserve this structure somehow , build it directly into a basement museum extension of Fort York or something.

Sucks to be the developer as this will no doubt change their plans, but then again if this is done right the developer could benefit from this too.

I think the archaeological site may be in the area designated for parkland. The condo/library will be located along the southern and eastern areas of the site.

These are some conceptual drawings of that block. Please note these are not final - just conceptual.

2368393970_31d2152bf3_b.jpg

2367537189_3d14f1779f_o.jpg

2368370814_1fac65053e_o.jpg

The condo/library development is probably going to be built in the area to the right of a line drawn from the steel beams (at the bottom of the pic) to the pylon and the parkland to the left of that line. The exposed structure would be located in the park area.
Toronto-20110415-00002.jpg

Notice some kind of brick beside the Pylon. Maybe this is a remnant from Fort York???

Toronto-20110415-00003.jpg

Notice the cement dividers all the way along.

Does anyone know what was on this site many many years ago?

More to look at here:

library_eblast_apr10-2.jpg

Hey Edward,

Sorry for delay. I wanted to check out the site in person so I could comment accurately.

The archaeological dig uncovered rail road related below grade foundations and infrastructure dating from the 1850's to the 1920's that were previously buried with land fill. These findings were anticipated by our archaeologists due to past excavations that began on site in 2005 and the fact that until recently this was a rail road yard and we continue to work with the archaeologists on site. The future decision on the foundation wall will be made after the consultant’s report is issued and talks occur in concert with the city and province and Context.

Thanks for your interest and you are welcome to post this on urbantoronto.

Best regards.

Craig Taylor
Director of Design Marketing
Context

^ I would do something very similar. I think it's an opportunity to showcase some history of the area within Toronto's 100th Library. Alternatively, some incorporation into the new Garrison Creek Park could be a good idea.

hen put behind glass as a feature wall or two of the new library

Fantastic idea UD. Putting Toronto history behind glass is simply brilliant.

Kinda like a San Diego Zoo for Toronto artifacts... what a great tour that would be.

Or just build it on top. The Bolognese thought it a grand idea and installed a glass floor in the central library's Sala Borsa to view the ruins beneath.

2210365.jpg

It's certainly not everyday that we get to see an archeological site in Toronto, and this one is just beginning to get intriguing! Saw a survey team of 4 on site today taking measurements.

Attachments

• IMG_1784.jpg
    IMG_1784.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_1786.jpg
    IMG_1786.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_1787.jpg
    IMG_1787.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_1776.jpg
    IMG_1776.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_1785.jpg
    IMG_1785.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_1788.jpg
    IMG_1788.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_1783.jpg
    IMG_1783.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 247
  • IMG_1775.jpg
    IMG_1775.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_1790.jpg
    IMG_1790.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_1774.jpg
    IMG_1774.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 233
  • IMG_1778.jpg
    IMG_1778.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 235
I'm really hoping that they plan on leaving this find in place and covering it with a glass floor as well. I think it may be the most cost effective for all parties, and would maintain its authenticity. Another thing that may be nice would be a small staircase leading down onto a walkway encircling the area. A bit of a sub-basement zone where people can actually see the walls and the undisturbed remnants up close, as well as from above. I know it's not quite comparing apples to apples, but this is the best example I could think of. At the Louvre they unearthed the remains of a much older, original Louvre building and did exactly that. They built a walkway right around the structure bellow ground, and it became a basement exhibit space to the existing Louvre building. http://www.travelpod.com/travel-photo/nateandglenn/1/1286634558/louvre-basement.jpg/tpod.html

Of course I have no idea what significance if any this structure has, but I think it's an idea worth exploring!

Back