Toronto Library District Condominiums + Toronto's 99th Library | ?m | 29s | Context Development | KPMB

Strange...Looks like not much of this is going to be kept, except a couple of artifacts to feature in the park.:confused:

City tries to honour past amid rampant development

"To be honest, mid- to late-19th century [archeological] resources are found fairly frequently in the city as part of this process," Williamson said, adding the city has been "quite good" at recognizing the history of these structures.

Context, for its part, said it will build what it calls "Mouth of the Creek Park" on part of the site. The developer says it is considering using some of the materials and artifacts to feature in the park to tell the story of Engine House.

Williamson said it is unlikely that a find would stop construction of a project altogether.

If we were to find a site that dated to 11,000 years ago by the very first occupants of the area, that would be a site that people would think very seriously about," he said.

"You can't stop every project when you find material like this but we routinely uncover these, mitigate them, record their important features and then also participate in their interpretation and commemoration."

One such example, he said, is the work the city did with the builders of the Tiff Bell Lightbox at King and John streets. Toronto's first general hospital was built in the area, and artifacts unearthed during the construction process are now housed in an exhibit on the fourth floor.

More......http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/story/2011/05/27/city-archeology-assessment548.html

More of an update, June-3

archaeology
Excavation near Fort York unearths locomotive history

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...k-unearths-locomotive-history/article2046964/

Last edited:
It did.

I tried to go to the presentation on May 10 at Fort York, but was told that it would not be starting for another several hours. Apparently they were only showing it in a two hour block from five to seven in the evening. I'm not sure about the second-round at Sanderson on the 19th.

And I'm still not impressed with the rendering for the Library District condos. The top is too timid and it just looks the same old, same old again. Since Montage/Neo/West One/N, Concord seems to not care about trying something different for the last remaining buildings.

And I'm still not impressed with the rendering for the Library District condos. The top is too timid and it just looks the same old, same old again. Since Montage/Neo/West One/N, Concord seems to not care about trying something different for the last remaining buildings.

Parade is round and different, Quartz looks like it will have potential to be better... and by the way Library District condos is being built by Context.

Library District isn't being built by Concord. Its Context.

Edit: Nvm, I see Automation Gallery took care of that!

Parade is round and different, Quartz looks like it will have potential to be better... and by the way Library District condos is being built by Context.

Damn. I have to get my eyes checked. I'm getting everything wrong these days. Age, such a wonderful process....

The "dig" is getting even bigger...

Pics taken June 9, 2011.

YbCAL.jpg

trvQA.jpg

Last edited:
I guess more and more taxpayers money going into a good cause.

Sometimes the process process of uncovering the city of the past, a process with nuances for an end result that more people can enjoy. It's so much better than the kind of crudeness that says "to hell with everything, let's just build some high-rises quickly and make some money".

Also, note that the developer is undertaking this archeological dig.

Back