Toronto Liberty Place | ?m | 32s | CanAlfa | IBI Group

YES, there is something wrong with the Metro. (in that location) It's the design that's the problem.(not the stores) It could have been so much nicer if they put the parking under ground or behind the building. There is no need to build a suburban parking area, in the middle of an urban shopping area. It's just terrible planning. There are so many other creative ways they could have dealt with it but they chose the cheapest and easiest way. (god forbid, they should actually have to put some real thought into it)

As i recall when Metro opened there was only one measly tower, the toy factory, and a bunch of townhomes just east of it....most of the development came after.
At the time....nothing wrong with the developer being cautious of a masterplan that was pretty well a vision

^^^what else is new from this blatant apologist for crap architecture? that cluster of cheap spandrel buildings is practically criminal. Liberty Village could have been so much more. Look at Toy Factory Lofts, clearly the best building in the area and it was transformed from the historical stock of the area. So much other interesting stuff was just flattened when an intelligent plan could have made use of other existing buildings to make this a great historic district to visit and live in. But alas, this is the typical Toronto mindset at work yet again: "screw history and quality development, how much money can we make?"

403588_10150480653286676_596836675_9012047_1509994419_n.jpg

Attachments

• 403588_10150480653286676_596836675_9012047_1509994419_n.jpg
    403588_10150480653286676_596836675_9012047_1509994419_n.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 476
^^^what else is new from this blatant apologist for crap architecture? that cluster of cheap spandrel buildings is practically criminal. Liberty Village could have been so much more. Look at Toy Factory Lofts, clearly the best building in the area and it was transformed from the historical stock of the area. So much other interesting stuff was just flattened when an intelligent plan could have made use of other existing buildings to make this a great historic district to visit and live in. But alas, this is the typical Toronto mindset at work yet again: "screw history and quality development, how much money can we make?"

+1

At least it isn't 200 metres tall and blocking out our real skyline like other blatant crap architecture. Say what you want about this neighbourhood, yes it is a missed opportunity, but at least it isn't making a huge impact like other crap this city lets developers and architects get away with.

What is this phantom 'real skyline' you've referred to in several threads? I'd say the failure of an entire precinct (village?) is worse than a few bad buildings here or there.

What's more, what are they 'getting away with?' I guess I'd have more faith in your 'paint-with-a-broad-brush' statements if you didn't so often approve of those bad buildings and rally against the good ones.

At least it isn't 200 metres tall and blocking out our real skyline like other blatant crap architecture. Say what you want about this neighbourhood, yes it is a missed opportunity, but at least it isn't making a huge impact like other crap this city lets developers and architects get away with.

If that's the best one can say about Liberty Village, it's pretty sad. The fact that the city let this happen to an area that had great potential, is inexcusable. This area could have been just as special as the Distillery but it's not.

If that's the best one can say about Liberty Village, it's pretty sad. The fact that the city let this happen to an area that had great potential, is inexcusable. This area could have been just as special as the Distillery but it's not.

It's all perception and individual taste (good or bad)........ Personally, the Distillery does nothing for me, I would not live in the east end.....

Why does Liberty Village have no sense of massing, no sense of building arrangement, and feel like such a strange little suburb? Sigh.

Sorry if this has been discussed previously in some other Liberty-related thread, but I'd be grateful if any of our UT colleagues with a comprehensive view on the city's planning process could shed light on this question.

Specifically,
- Does Liberty Village have a neighborhood or district plan with respect to height, massing, etc? Or, conversely, is the result a reflection of the lack of such a plan?
- Does Liberty Village represent an older approach to brownfield neighbourhood/district redevelopment that has since been superceded? Can we compare and contrast the LV experience with, say, Regents Park redevelopment or Cityplace? (We could also add East Bayside, West Don Lands etc to this list, but I assume that Waterfront Toronto's district planning regime and approach is distinct from the city's in that it restricts and guides developers more tightly)

Any factual insights appreciated!

Back