Toronto Liberty Place | ?m | 32s | CanAlfa | IBI Group

Taken today. This development is called Liberty Park I believe.

Working on the 1st/2nd level of parking at the Eastern portion of the site. At the western half, the ramp is being removed.

LIBERTY-PARK-06-11-2011-1.jpg

LIBERTY-PARK-06-11-2011-2.jpg

LIBERTY-PARK-06-11-2011-3.jpg

LIBERTY-PARK-06-11-2011-5.jpg

Last edited:
I'm glad to see these buildings will have some retail. There might be some hope for Liberty Village after-all. East Liberty Street is the main street through the district and it should be the focal point of retail, restaurants and culture.

Liberty Village except for the area to the west (where they left a few historic buildings) has already been destroyed by shitty, overscaled, and poorly placed, towers. The further east you go the worse it gets. Shame because if you look at old photos there were many incredible massive old brick warehouses much like the carpet factory building.
http://www.docstoc.com/docs/32923585/The-Toronto-Carpet-Factory

Liberty Village except for the area to the west (where they left a few historic buildings) has already been destroyed by shitty, overscaled, and poorly placed, towers. The further east you go the worse it gets. Shame because if you look at old photos there were many incredible massive old brick warehouses much like the carpet factory building.
http://www.docstoc.com/docs/32923585/The-Toronto-Carpet-Factory

Reading your post, regarding the past.....i doubt you know what your talking about.

Reading your post, regarding the past.....i doubt you know what your talking about.
He's right about the crappy new buildings and the further east you go, the worse it gets. The strip mall/Metro, is unforgivable, as far as I'm concerned. This area could have been at least as nice as the Distillery but they screwed it up. (well, mainly the east side)

He's right about the crappy new buildings and the further east you go, the worse it gets. The strip mall/Metro, is unforgivable, as far as I'm concerned. This area could have been at least as nice as the Distillery but they screwed it up. (well, mainly the east side)

But the west side is nice ! Anyone know how the retail outlets are doing there though ?
When I visited last summer there were quite a few for lease.

Regarding the metro strip ... that can get redeveloped. Though they added more 2 story buildings which is a shame.

The metro/strip plaza is a disposable development and i don't agree with it being the worst thing imaginable as an intermediary use.

The east side offered very little that makes up today's Distillery District. It was mostly covered by asphalt and massive warehousing built up in the fifties. I have no clue how you would have adapted that into the small unique spaces the distillery offers.

The architecture leaves a lot to be desired however, the towers in tandem do give you this setting which you may find around the five boroughs.

Last edited:
The east side offered very little that makes up today's Distillery District. It was mostly covered by asphalt and massive warehousing built up in the fifties. I have no clue how you would have adapted that into the small unique spaces the distillery offers.

Exactly, lots of folks just assume that what must existed there at East Liberty by Strachan, must have been similar to the West Liberty side by Dufferin

Several of the 19th century brick warehouses in the foreground of the attached photo would have added immensely to the richness of Liberty Village. As an historic district L.V. could have been much more expansive, and connected to the fabric of the Toronto to the east. As it is, the east part of the Liberty Village feels suddenly like you are caught somewhere in Etobicoke south of the QEW, except with horribly banal condo towers everywhere.

Attachments

• Toronto parkdale_aerial2.jpg
    Toronto parkdale_aerial2.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 369
There is nothing wrong with the Metro, the plaza and the stores. Living there it's necessary. A lot of people don't drive, so having a 24/7 grocery store and LCBO, and Beer Store, etc right in our neighbourhood is very convenient. I would be very pissed if they ever closed it. I don't like cabbing it, or taking a bus to go grocery shopping.

There is nothing wrong with the Metro, the plaza and the stores. Living there it's necessary. A lot of people don't drive, so having a 24/7 grocery store and LCBO, and Beer Store, etc right in our neighbourhood is very convenient. I would be very pissed if they ever closed it. I don't like cabbing it, or taking a bus to go grocery shopping.

No one said it should close ! In an ideal world there would be a condo over it, and even more retail underneath. There are examples of this throughout the city.

YES, there is something wrong with the Metro. (in that location) It's the design that's the problem.(not the stores) It could have been so much nicer if they put the parking under ground or behind the building. There is no need to build a suburban parking area, in the middle of an urban shopping area. It's just terrible planning. There are so many other creative ways they could have dealt with it but they chose the cheapest and easiest way. (god forbid, they should actually have to put some real thought into it)

Back