Toronto Li Ka Shing Knowledge Institute | ?m | 9s | St. Michael's | Diamond Schmitt

jozl:

Spring 2006 is the start date as quoted in the media.

GB

I can now confirm that this project is indeed by Diamond Schmitt (as per their updated website).

The project description also talks about the components to the building - dry labs, wet labs, vivarium, conference centre w/ 260 seat auditorium, 60 penthouse/wellness centre, 175 public/private garage. It's going to be located at NE corner of Shuter and Victoria.

The rendering posted is the same one dated from a few months ago, but of a higher resolution. It suggested stone or zinc/glass exterior cladding, with visible circulation spines and use of Profilit glass.

Their website also has updated information of other projects, including theh Opera House, Ontario Science Centre, etc.

AoD

Any idea when this will go to committee? There's been no white zoning/development notice sign on the property yet.

From what I've been hearing, there's been no word on when the clinics, offices and labs will have to move - no one in the Annex/West Annex buildings has any idea what's going on.

Build underground instead.

There's already a tunnel under Shuter Street.

Groundbreaking has been already pushed back to January 2007 - with it opening sometime in late 2009/early 2010. No word on demolition yet.

spm:

I haven't seen any community council reports floating around on it. Perhaps the site is already zoned?

AoD

Finally an update. I saw the committee of adjustment notice being fixed to the wall right at the corner of Shuter and Victoria about 20 minutes ago. To permit the construction of a nine-floor research building, to be brought up at 3:00, May 17.

spm:

Thanks. The agenda for the CoA for May 17 isn't up - so no additional info for me to post yet. Don't expect too much though even when it is though - it's usually fairly minimal compared to detailed staff reports from the Community Councils.

AoD

Wow. Talk about delays.

The old buildings will be occupied (partially - most of it is vacated now) until at least the end of Febuary. Demolition would likely not take place until April, I'm guessing.

Thanks AoD for the update on DS's site- The rendering looks very promising- not to mention a nice sized project. I thought it was going to be much smaller...Should fit in very well.

p5

Thanks for the update, Alvin. Looks pretty good, though not exactly like most Diamond Schmitt work.

unimaginative:

It has gotten less "flamboyant" and more MaRS like - that said, the original rendering wasn't terribly realistic anyways (like the glass clad walkway). Interesting how most of the research complexes in Toronto built recently all adopted a similiar look.

AoD

Good point. You're absolutely right about that. I guess it's sort of that clean, cool, high tech look that research complexes want to project.

It is certainly a little less 'unique' than the original design as posted on the Diamond Schmitt website. And its a shame there appears to be nothing to animate Victoria Street across from the Pantages (except a wall of cladding).

And everyone's out of the building (finally). Demolition work could start at almost any time now.

If you want to get your last kick at the shitpile there now, do it soon.

Back