Toronto Leslie Barns | ?m | ?s | TTC | SAI

GO Transit's Don Yard, which supports a portion of the rail fleet that moves the population of the West Don Lands in and out of Toronto every day. I suspect the price that Metrolinx would be willing to accept to part with it would be finite number, but a very very big one.

Last edited by a moderator:
That`s not going to happen. In order to provide rush-hour trains in the evenings GO needs to have "train parks"close to downtown and they now have one just east (@ Don) and one just west (@ Bathurst.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Whats the point of removing the banned member's quotes from peoples responses, and leaving the responses? Makes no sense.

Probably because the original streetcars were pulled by horses.

A little before your time.

horse-streetcar.jpg

Quick question

Is the lead in track on Leslie to the barns a dedicated ROW or is the track in mixed traffic? If it is in mixed traffic, just curious why they would have done so. Was there local opposition to making it dedicated?

Is the lead in track on Leslie to the barns a dedicated ROW or is the track in mixed traffic? If it is in mixed traffic, just curious why they would have done so. Was there local opposition to making it dedicated?
Good question. From the photos on the project site. http://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Projects/Leslie_Barns/Construction_Photo_G.jsp Like:
LB_asph.jpg

it looks to me as though it is NOT a ROW but it is not really clear and I suspect the street is actually too narrow for a fully separated ROW .

Attachments

• LB_asph.jpg
    LB_asph.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 735

What would be the point of putting non-revenue track in a private-right-of-way?

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

ROWs are really only needed to protect the streetcars from congestion, I can't imagine it would be much on this portion of Leslie

What would be the point of putting non-revenue track in a private-right-of-way?

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

It was more of a question I guess. I was just curious if there were concerns about congestion slowing down the streetcars entering or leaving the new barns. Sounds like from another comment that this won't be the case so a dedicate ROW isn't needed.

The story is familiar by now: when streetcar tracks need to be installed or repaired, the TTC takes longer than promised to tear up a road. Small businesses lose money and rebel. The street names have taken on the mournful timbre of historic battlefields at this point: St. Clair, Bathurst-Dundas, Queens Quay, Roncesvalles.

It’s a unique and perhaps unavoidable Toronto problem — the city is criss-crossed by trams like few others places in North America.

But the construction of the Leslie Barns was supposed to be different. In laying a spur line between Commissioners and Queen Sts. and building a streetcar warehouse at Lake Shore Blvd. and Leslie St., the TTC hoped to avoid the pitfalls of the past.

By some measures, they have succeeded. A local community relations office has earned some good will, and some important deadlines have been met.

But four years since the transit agency broke ground on the project, many local business owners say their bottom line has been hit hard and their patience tried by delays and bad communication. While construction on the Eglinton LRT grabbed headlines and became a debating point in the mayoral election, Leslieville has quietly grown restless as another streetcar project drags on.

http://www.thestar.com/business/201...ruction_delays_hit_local_businesses_hard.html

Newspapers need to stop publishing this bs. Sorry, but the businesses that closed were already doing poorly before construction, and one closing had nothing to do with construction (Burger King), but hey... lets publish this anyway and try to connect it to the construction!

Back