Toronto L-Tower | 204.82m | 58s | Cityzen | Daniel Libeskind

where IS the presentation centre for the 'new' L Tower anyways??

so is the removal of the boot (lower part of the "L") finalized?? Does any one of pictures of the scale models and the model suite of this building??

New Model + Renderings

these were previously posted (on page 56 + 66) :)

I was in the new L-Tower sales office today with a client. Here's a photo snapped with an iPhone. Should have gotten a good south elevation shot of the model, but was in a hurry. The boot portion of the original design is gone. Replaced by amenities area and open space. Walls are put up on the south side of the Sony Centre forming what could look like the lower boot portion of the "L". So one can argue that there is still an "L" shaped building, facing a different way. Doesn't look nearly as good as before though, imo. :(

Lower floors 3-12 of the tower has been redesigned to loft suites. These will have 10' ceilings.

NewLTowermodel.jpg

Here are some of the new base renderings posted on another forum

0211.jpg

0311.jpg

I kind of like the change, the intersection looks more people friendly and blends in well with the Hummingbird Centre.As much as i liked the boot i think it would have looked bulky and awkward over this heritage centre. This is a much better fit.

no apologies necessary ... just dug those posts up for easier reference :D

Thanks for posting those pics, Automation Gallery.

Certainly Libeskind is showing a consistent style, by and large. I think it's pretty easy to take aim at him for lack of originality, given how quickly one can spot his buildings, but I don't think the sameness is entirely a fault. He pretty much invented the style that he works with, so I think he's entitled to play with it as much as he likes. I think he blunders more when he strays from his sharp-edged norms - like the oddly graceless and clunky results he got when he tried to get curvy and accommodating in Cincinnati. I'd rather see his 'theoretical' edge developing over time, than his 'commercial' one. Anyhoo...

I like this base a lot more than the previous version. It's far more relaxed, respectful of its surroundings and well integrated, IMO. It doesn't look like it will be providing a very exciting streetwall to the sidewalk in terms of commercial activity, but at least it doesn't blot out the view of the Sony Centre, or overwhelm it.

Hopefully the finishes will be more universally pleasing this time around! We might get a glimpse of what the ROM cladding might have looked like. (sigh)

Last edited:
Thanks for posting those pics, Automation Gallery.

Certainly Libeskind is showing a consistent style, by and large. I think it's pretty easy to take aim at him for lack of originality, given how quickly one can spot his buildings, but I don't think the sameness is entirely a fault.

I actually think this revision of the LTower brings it more in like with his other buildings. The previous disco boot, complete with lucite fishbowl in the heel, was pretty anomalous.

I like this base a lot more than the previous version. It's far more relaxed, respectful of its surroundings and well integrated, IMO. It doesn't look like it will be providing a very exciting streetwall to the sidewalk in terms of commercial activity, but at least it doesn't blot out the view of the Sony Centre, or overwhelm it.

I like this base way more, as well. I think it might actually offer a better street-wall than the previous one - which in some of the close-up renders revealed blank glass facade along Yonge Street where it slopes down.

Last edited:
New "l" Tower Presentation Centre

after some digging, I was able to find the interim presentation centre for L Tower, which is located at 56 The Esplanade, Suite 302

speaking with their staff, it was noted the builder fully intends on starting construction in May 2009, and financing has been secured through a major European institution (they gave me the name but I forgot...sorry)

it was interesting to note that with the recent design change to the 'boot' and conversion of the lower levels (floors 1 to 12) to more residential units, the builder does not consider it as 'material change' where purchasers can back out of their deal, as in their view the 'condominium' component remains unchanged and that the AHA Centre is treated as 'the building next door' ... something that I wasn't very pleased to hear

however their staff notes the builder out of good gesture sent out notices to all pruchasers advising them of the change and would consider recisions upon request ... they note only a few (20) purchasers on the lower floors either switched to a higher unit or cancelled their deals

anyhow, it was enlightening to find out new details on "l" tower ... I also discovered the new crystal like boxes on the ground in fact house the swimming pool (new plan I guess?)

I, too, like the Crystal at the base and the little plaza with the fountains. However I am a bit saddened by the loss of that semi-circular feature on the Yonge Street side with the orange ramps. That was the most interesting feature on the building when the design was first unveiled.

I wonder what Libeskind (or whoever put that space in) had in mind for the space, but I bet if it were ever built it would have been one of the most amazing interior spaces in this city.

As for the L Tower, that render makes it look like it has suffered some foot-binding.

Poor Libeskind. He's come to the city twice now with great design proposals and both times got screwed over with redesigns, finance, owners, etc. The circular part really was a big loss, its a shame they couldn't integrate it into the revised design in any way.

With that being said, I'm starting to like the new base quite a bit.:D It has a more human scale, meshes with the hummingbird centre nicely and to me it seems like the building is now shaped like a waterfall. (much more elegant than a boot) The curved top is the water pouring over the edge, falling down, then the new base is like all the water splashing at the bottom. Very cool effect.

Back