Toronto L-Tower | 204.82m | 58s | Cityzen | Daniel Libeskind

I just cannot reconcile that club-foot of a base to the rest of the tower. How could it be so wrong, so terribly wrong??

906460_10152426694514203_5058063101505287299_o.jpg

Attachments

• 906460_10152426694514203_5058063101505287299_o.jpg
    906460_10152426694514203_5058063101505287299_o.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 2,041
I just cannot reconcile that club-foot of a base to the rest of the tower. How could it be so wrong, so terribly wrong??

Same here. The building looks great in the skyline, but I just can't get over its stump of a base. Its initial design was beautiful! Now the building always represents the disappointment of the base when I see it. It's not even an L anymore.

the base looks so fake. like it a toy or something made up of plastic. the first design was much better.

That clubbed foot was just an afterthought, after the boot was cancelled. It looks like little thought went into it. I hope the public square is decent.

In the absence of the boot (which i didn't like much either, vis a vis the O'keefe Centre) I would rather something very simple at the base, not detracting from the upward flow of the tower or the heritage architecture of the performing arts centre. This mess of a base is ill conceived in every way.

why do canadian designers always get it wrong. just look around the city and almost every building and structure is plain, boring and lacks creativity. the canadian law should make it illegal to creative ugly buildings and structures that way everything will be nice.

Why be creative when you can build a glass/spandrel box like everyone else and still sell units? Who needs real architects, with their new creative designs that cost money. As long as Torontonians keep buying glass/grey spandrel boxes, developers will keep giving it to them.

It looks out of place & kind of cheap...
Though I doubt that it will redeem this part of the building, we should not forget that the patio area (being designed by Claude Cormier) is about to appear on the west side of the Sony Centre immediately at the foot of the tower. In due course Scott Street from Front To The Esplanade will also be 'fixed up' but I think this will not happen until Backstage is finished.

Not the greatest - but that stretch of Yonge is always a bit utilitarian anyways. Interestingly, the way the podium juxtapositioned with the copper roof of Sony Centre suggests that ribbed material might be a better choice as cladding.

AoD

Back