Toronto L-Tower | 204.82m | 58s | Cityzen | Daniel Libeskind

I hope it's not a rooftopper.

That's really weird - given it's a construction site, it must be a trespasser of some of sort if it isn't construction-related.

AoD

If -- if -- it's a rooftopper, it was an entirely foreseeable and preventable tragedy. These idiots risk their lives for the thrill of defying death and gravity and amassing the photographic proof. But the law of average will always assert itself.

And someone will die.

If this site still wants to run the photos they take (and thereby indirectly encourage the practice) then in my view it's morally culpable in playing a role.

Please stop. Otherwise they won't.

That's really weird - given it's a construction site, it must be a trespasser of some of sort if it isn't construction-related.

That and it happened on a Sunday when there usually doesn't appear to be any work going on at the site. Also, has anyone heard anything about this in the media? I haven't seen any mention of it at all, which would be quite telling in itself. There was that horrible fatal accident at Aura a while back, and that was all over the news. From the absence of media coverage, I figured it was a suicide, in line with standard policy of not reporting such events. But a rooftopper makes sense too, and I can see why they wouldn't want to give that any coverage lest they be seen as "promoting" the activity.

A friend of mine lives right by the site. He told me he heard a loud bang outside as he was getting ready for work. When he got out the front door ten minutes later, the police had cordoned off the area and the body was already covered. He hasn't been able to find out anything else though.

The police say that there is a lot of gang activity going on along the Esplanade lately, most of which invovles guns and which the media isn't interested. So maybe that?

The police say that there is a lot of gang activity going on along the Esplanade lately, most of which invovles guns and which the media isn't interested. So maybe that?

Could be, except I don't understand why the media wouldn't be interested. They're all over that whenever it happens anywhere else in the city.

A person was shot in the leg at Jarvis and The Esplanade a couple weeks ago and it was heavily covered by the media. I doubt they would cover that and not a murder.

If -- if -- it's a rooftopper, it was an entirely foreseeable and preventable tragedy. These idiots risk their lives for the thrill of defying death and gravity and amassing the photographic proof. But the law of average will always assert itself.

And someone will die.

If this site still wants to run the photos they take (and thereby indirectly encourage the practice) then in my view it's morally culpable in playing a role.

I equate them to rock/mountain climbers, wing-suit fliers, and other extreme/dangerous activities. They've been around long before UT or any skyscraper forums exist, and will continue to do what they do even if UT stops posting their photos. Those who aren't in it for the thrill is unlikely to do so just to produce some pics. Fear of heights is very deeply written into our self-preservation mechanism.

I'd honour them, but not ignore their work - if they're one of the few who are into it.

Last edited:
This was likely a suicide, not a worker fatality. I spoke to a worker on-site today, and he told me that someone climbed and jumped. Suicides are never reported on the media so this will probably remain quiet.

And someone will die.

I said the same thing a few years back. I think it's a bad idea to allow photos of people taking photos from the rooftops of buildings that they trespassed. However, I don't make the rules.

Sorry a lot of gang activity on the Esplanade !?!? Would have never guessed that, why ??

Back