Toronto L-Tower | 204.82m | 58s | Cityzen | Daniel Libeskind

Please excuse me for interrupting you but could you please write those numbers in metres as well ? I don't understand how high it is that you're talking about.
This is a metric country I thought? or is it Canada rather wants to stay as a economic and cultural colony of the US instead of becoming a proud member state of the World?
Anyway, please try to use the NATIONAL and INTERNATIONAL unit instead of the non-national and only-us-using unit.
Thanks

Square feet to square metres
Feet to Metres

That took all of 20 seconds.

Please excuse me for interrupting you but could you please write those numbers in metres as well ? I don't understand how high it is that you're talking about.
This is a metric country I thought? or is it Canada rather wants to stay as a economic and cultural colony of the US instead of becoming a proud member state of the World?
Anyway, please try to use the NATIONAL and INTERNATIONAL unit instead of the non-national and only-us-using unit.
Thanks

I personally prefer to use feet for building heights, but I will provide both next time. It's unfortunate you have such a low opinion of Canada.

While we're nitpicking, how about you use correct punctuation, capitalization, and grammar in your posts? Don't you wish to become a proud member of the literate world?

Bogtrotter: Thanks for putting some time and effort into your post and providing us with some good comparative information (regardless of units of measurement).

Don't make me side with French Canadians which I actually don't like so much because of their passion towards separation.
I saw a person in Montreal holding a picket sign when the royals were visiting there.
"No speak English" (not even "Don't" speak English).

If you're saying people shouldn't express their opinions or feelings unless they are perfect at English language, what would those who are incapable of doing that eventually think?

Back to the topic, this is what I personally prefer.

1)Using metric alone (the best option for Canada)
2)Using imperial only (okay...that's what Canada's gone for)
3)Using both metric and imperial (very inefficient, time consuming, and confusing)

Last edited:
Don't make me side with French Canadians which I actually don't like so much because of their passion towards separation.
I saw a person in Montreal holding a picket sign when the royals were visiting there.
"No speak English" (not even "don't Speak English)

If you're saying people shouldn't express their opinions or feelings unless they are perfect at English language, what would those who are incapable of doing that eventually think?

Back to the topic, this is what I personally prefer

3)Using both metric and imperial (very inefficient, time consuming, and confusing)

First off, what does this have to do with French Canadians? To be honest, I don't care a lick about your grammar or spelling as long as you get your point across. The point I was making was that you should be careful about attacking someone for a very minor issue when you are typing a post full of other just as minor issues (ie. grammar). Its a kettle and pot issue,I suppose.

Secondly, you should maybe reexamine your dislike for French Canadians (Hint: They're not all separatists).

Lastly, Imperial and Metric are both accepted units of measurement and someone above provided a handy link for conversion, so use it and stop making grand assertions about how that reflects on us as a country.

Back to L-Tower talk....

Oh-no the metric police have arrived!

Thanks

Ridiculous, I too also use feet and its got nothing to do with following the US or not following the International standard. Feet are simply more accurate by more than a 3 to 1 radio, without having use a forth digit (for the most part there's no need to use decimals). Also there's just something more substantive about higher figures, 1000ft sounds much more impressive than 304m.

Back to the topic, this is what I personally prefer.

First off, how is using both metric and imperial confusing? Too many numbers for ya? Here's a tip, ignore the number with feet or ft next to it. It will be the higher number. Secondly and more importantly, quoting building heights in feet isn't against any rules that I'm aware of. Perhaps the next time you make a request you could leave out the whole thing about following some international standard and how you prefer things to be, especially when someone is contributing useful information. Just stick to the please's and thank you's, you'll get a better response.

Last edited:
First off, what does this have to do with French Canadians? To be honest, I don't care a lick about your grammar or spelling as long as you get your point across. The point I was making was that you should be careful about attacking someone for a very minor issue when you are typing a post full of other just as minor issues (ie. grammar). Its a kettle and pot issue,I suppose.

Secondly, you should maybe reexamine your dislike for French Canadians (Hint: They're not all separatists).

Lastly, Imperial and Metric are both accepted units of measurement and someone above provided a handy link for conversion, so use it and stop making grand assertions about how that reflects on us as a country.

Back to L-Tower talk....

1) I was not attacking. I was actually begging or politely suggesting.
2) I dislike French Canadians(or Quebecois) only when they shout out "don't speak English" or "Vive le Quebec libre!"
3) I didn't see somebody provided a link for conversion but it he/she did it's very nice of him/her. I actually have 3 bookmarks on my chrome for unit conversions and have been actively involved in the conversion thing in the architecture field for years. I think I spent approximately 100 hours just for converting units which does not mean anything in fact, which does not produce anything actually. If Canada seriously wanted to promote metric, not just superficialy saying Canada's official unit is Metric, Canadian's lives and scenes of the lives would have been more like the ones in France, Japan, or the rest of the World. I didn't even know or ever need to know how big inch or foot was before I came to Canada. The only times that I saw or heard those strange words(Feet, Mile) were when I was watching American Hollywood movies.

Last edited:
Thanks

Just to point out why sometimes just metric is not used: Most as-built drawings of existing buildings of a certain age are in imperial so if a new, addition, or renovation is contimplated it sometimes makes sense to stay in imperial.

Further to Homer's point, Canada only started using the metric system in the 1970's, so there are a lot of people that grew up using the imperial system. Most people in the development industry (architects, builders, planners, engineers) use imperial measurements when conversing, but they can also do a rough conversion in their head. Municipalities require various building, construction, and site plans to be presented in metric, but most plans will have both metric and imperial measurements.

If the UK can get away with still using Imperial, I don't see why we as Canadians should feel bad about it either. I'm well familiar with feet and pounds, because nearly all Canadians use them (although immigrants often use metric). However, Fahrenheit always stumps me.

I deal with both measurement in construction that that can be a pain at time. I prefer metric at the end of the day, since it is easy to work with as well measuring on the site.

No one was on the site today and not surprised at it, as most jobs were shut down by noon. Even Burlington was this way.

July 21
5962486249_b4502b0d5c_b.jpg

5962485843_e6fc09b32b_b.jpg

5963038976_a8c1a84a1d_b.jpg

5963040876_da846e7ae6_b.jpg

5963038532_9cd2a5f00a_b.jpg

5962489823_fbdc61482f_b.jpg

Last edited:
Well considering our closest friend and ally which we share our continent with still prefers to use feet, yards, lbs, fahrenheit etc- I verse myself in all of these. Nice update- indeed it must be hellish working on a construction site in this heat!

Not surprised the workers were sent home.
It was like a 110 Farenheit yesterday.
My heat pumps were going steady just to keep the place at 75 Farenheit.
Finally decided to escape to the cottage yesterday. Luckily it's only about 65 miles away. It's air conditioned and cools down quickly. It's only about a 1000 square feet.
Does not cost me too much to get there. I get about 40 miles to the gallon. ..;)

Last edited:

Back