Toronto L-Tower | 204.82m | 58s | Cityzen | Daniel Libeskind

Is that dirt and grime I see on the west facade of the O'Keefe Centre? Hopefully it'll get a nice cleaning when all the work is done.

Also, I wish these corporate re-namings would be a little more sympathetic, the Sony O'keefe Centre would be so much better, or the Canon Pantages etc.
Sony O'Keefe Centre? Two corporate names are better than one?

Here's a birds eye view taken from BCE Place this afternoon. Progress seems kind of slow but stuff is happening.

4349292959_635b0de21d_b.jpg

Great shot. Makes you realize how much of a sliver of land the developers have to work with.

Tewder

Is that dirt and grime I see on the west facade of the O'Keefe Centre? Hopefully it'll get a nice cleaning when all the work is done.

Also, I wish these corporate re-namings would be a little more sympathetic, the Sony O'keefe Centre would be so much better, or the Canon Pantages etc.

Or, as we refer to it in our family: The Beer Hall..............

AHK

AWESOME shot Mo-tage!... what a great perspective on the site!

The lot for the tower is quite small! It's gonna be cool to see a deep hole right next to the sony centre from this perspective!

That shot makes me soo excited for this one!

Thanks!!! :D

Last edited:
How deep a hole does it really need? The parking is all across the street, so other than maybe one floor below for some mechanical and service access there's not much reason to dig a big pit for this one. I could easily see it rising by the end of the year

Someone involved in the project told me that they've been coming across unexpected asbestos and other "toxic materials" in the Sony O'Keefe Centre during the prep work for the L tower. It wasn't clear if this is an explanation for the delays until now or if it was delaying things right now.

Seeing all the black on the roof of the Sony Centre really hits home that environmental awareness in buildings wasn't much of a concern until recently. I hope part of the renovation of the centre involves a white or green roof as well as other measures to curb the use of energy to heat and cool the building.

The building across the street has a even smaller foot print to work with.

Yes a green or White roof should be put on most building where can, as well solar panels, including this one.

We need to be more green these days.

That's an excellent photo. I finally have a true perspective as to how the tower will sit on the site, my mental block on this project has finally been cleared. I'm finally convinced the revised scheme for this project is a much better proposal than the true "L" tower design atop much of the Sony Centre.

That's an excellent photo. I finally have a true perspective as to how the tower will sit on the site, my mental block on this project has finally been cleared. I'm finally convinced the revised scheme for this project is a much better proposal than the true "L" tower design atop much of the Sony Centre.
I agree, I know everyone complained about losing the boot, but when you see that site you realize how much it would have overwhelmed the Sony Centre. I think the current design is much more respectful of the existing structure (I can believe I just wrote "respectful of the existing structure", I'm spending too much time on UT)

I agree with the above. The toe part simply wasn't needed here, and not that I disliked it.

Great picture above too. This has always been one of my favourite corners in Toronto, the one that greeted me as I came off the Gardiner and made my way into the big city. This is the corner that to me feels most 'London-West End' like. Maybe it's the presence of the theatres to the east, the non-grid road pattern where Front and Wellington come together at the Flat Iron/Berczy Park, the Regent Street-type curve to the west and the old-world feel of the Bank of Montreal and busy Yonge Street straight ahead. All that is missing is the kind of treatment at the Yonge/Front crossroads that such an important node would no doubt have in London with perhaps a traffic circle or some sort of monument commemorating one thing or another. Anyhow, the L Tower will add yet another layer of interest to this intersection that will greet future riders off the QEW or coming out of Union Station as they wander east toward the city's centre.

Last edited:
It's a very good photo and not only shows the layout of the L Tower site well it also shows how TINY the 5-7 The Esplanade site is - esp. if the City does not allow them to build on top of the Yonge Street bridge and even makes them demolish the unnecessary part of it to make the tunnel shorter.

Back