Toronto L-Tower | 204.82m | 58s | Cityzen | Daniel Libeskind

street and sidewalk closures:

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2010/te/bgrd/backgroundfile-25909.pdf

indicates a spec built south tower as a possibility

5-7 The Esplanade (which has its own thread) certainly seems to be going ahead - if for no other reason that the L Tower needs it for their parking. The TTR and GO are busily moving their operations off the north side of the rail berm at Yonge/The Esplanade - where the building will be - and have just created a new (replacement) driveway onto the tracks from the bottom of Market Street.

According to the Meeting Monitor online info on the TEYCC the two applications which were on today's agenda to close sidewalks at Yonge and The Esplanade were "Withdrawn". (See 1576 above). I wonder why?

Haven't been downtown in a while, but noted tonight that there are new cement barriers narrowing the northbound lanes of Yonge St. right at the L Tower, making room for construction I guess...

Preparing for demolition of the SW portion of the site.

4307624435_6949c0cc47_b.jpg

4307626829_8abf03431b_b.jpg

The Hummingbird/Sony Centre has seen better days

4307637729_5fb45074e9_b.jpg

thanks for the photo update... that stretch of Yonge is going to be hell for drivers. I predict atleast 3 incidents of road rage will escalate to murder!

Great to see this one get some action!.. nice updates!
I don't know what to expect from this one yet but i'm sure its gonna have an epic impact on Yonge... (its the tallest thing on the east side of Yonge St.)

Is that dirt and grime I see on the west facade of the O'Keefe Centre? Hopefully it'll get a nice cleaning when all the work is done.

Also, I wish these corporate re-namings would be a little more sympathetic, the Sony O'keefe Centre would be so much better, or the Canon Pantages etc.

Last edited:
3 years closure

Starting Sunday, January 30, the City of Toronto is closing The Esplanade between Yonge and Scott Streets to accommodate the construction of a nearby condominium project.

The TTC is detouring buses while The Esplanade is closed.
72A Pape via Commissioners

From Sunday, January 30 until 2013, westbound buses operate along their regular route to The Esplanade and Scott Street, then detour:

northbound along Scott; and then
westward along Wellington Street East to Yonge Street,
resuming their regular route westward along Wellington Street West.

Westbound buses skip their regular stops on The Esplanade west of Scott Street and on Yonge Street at Front Street.

Eastbound buses continue to operate along their regular route

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I understand in the recent profile, he would have said "Get me another glass a gin and take off your underwear while you do it. Where's my lighter?"

Back