Toronto Kipling Station Transit Hub | ?m | 2s | Metrolinx | SAI

I always wonder why these proposals never involve branches. Like one branch terminates at Sherway Gardens (or Long Branch station), and the other branch goes into Mississauga. Only in Toronto do subways have to be one continuous line, zigging and zagging to touch every point of interest.

Other cities do indeed do branches. This actually would be a good idea if there were multiple points out there that we wanted to serve. However there isn't really much here to serve. Sherway is there, but unfortunately situated to the south. I suppose if the TTC was innovative, they could have one branch hit Sherway and Long Branch, and the other continue along Dundas hitting East Mall, West Mall, Dixie, Cawthra, Tomken, Hurontario, MCC. It just seems kinda silly to serve only two stations with one of the branches. Unless it continued west to hit Lakeshore-Dixie, Lakeshore-Hurontario. But Lakeshore is more of an LRT street than a subway street. And even now LRT would be overkill until Lakeshore is more urbanized.

Branching would cause the line ends, which already have the lowest ridership levels, to be split. It would take a lot longer for that infrastructure to pay for itself. I think it makes more sense to have everyone use the same line to the end and half the people connect on perpendicular routes from a cost effectiveness perspective. As for interlining, the efficiency of the busiest track goes down because trains need to be switched and spaced out at the points multiple routes converge. The leeway built in to train timings to allow for delays at those convergence points ends up lowering the overall efficiency.

I wouldn't mind seeing brand new subway lines i.e. Eglinton and the DRL designed for interlining from day-one. The DRL essentially could have branched services in the downtown core, both an east-to-west alignment roughly following Queen Street and a north-to-south alignment following Pape/CNR on one hand, Weston-Galt or a similar alignment the other all connected by a central common ROW underneath Wellington/Front. This section could be double tracked whereby customers can cross-platfrom transfer between the service direction they desire. Eglinton could also be quad-tracked east of Don Mills, west of Weston whereby the DRL running along Eglinton becomes express between Don Mills and Midland only stopping at VP and express from Mt Dennis to Martin Grove only stopping at Islington. East and west of these points all trains would serve all stops. Saving people from having to physically transfer trains or at least minimizing their walk/wait times, really improves service quality.

Hey guys, I just checked Bondfield construction's website and it lists the completion date for the East Entrance as April 2011!!

I'm hoping this is a typo since construction started december 2008 but does anyone know if this is the true?? thnx

Just for the sake of it, I'll post this page from RTES. Hard to believe RTES was published in 2002. Seems like so long ago now:

4300944762_94e26d1f76_b.jpg

Is the RTES available online?

The steel work for the bridge and walkway is installed and putting the roof on it as well the floor decking for the bridge.

Any updates on the inter-regional terminal? Can't seem to find anything other than an expected completion date of 2011 but don't they have to start construction before estimating when it will be completed?

Any updates on the inter-regional terminal? Can't seem to find anything other than an expected completion date of 2011 but don't they have to start construction before estimating when it will be completed?

This link is the only thing that I could find that is dated from 2010. It's good that they're building it with LEED certification. The "occupancy date" is in April 2012 though but that was expected since construction hasn't even started. In any case, construction will only start after the new East entrance is completed, which should be this fall.

Recent shots of work on the Kipling station east automatic entrance:

KiplingSub1.jpg

KiplingSub2.jpg

KiplingSub3.jpg

KiplingSub4.jpg

KiplingSub5.jpg

KiplingSub5pano.jpg

KiplingSub6.jpg

KiplingSub7.jpg

KiplingSub8.jpg

KiplingSub8pano.jpg

KiplingSub9pano.jpg

Some great shots there. Are you a ttc employee or one of the trades people? Some of those shots are great and not really accessible to the public.

Great update I-42! It looks like the only things left to do are landscaping, roof over the 2 easterly bus bays and interior work (I can't really see if interior work is done or not). Shilly, I think all the shots can be taken by everyone. Most of the shots are from the top of the Kipling bridge and the others are from the road leading toward the station.

Such a short squat building. Any reasoning behind this type of design? Couldn't it have been incorporated into the structure of the bridge? At least then it looks part of the structure rather than a building under a bridge

Back