Toronto Kipling Station Transit Hub | ?m | 2s | Metrolinx | SAI

Interesting what they're doing at Kipling. Finally going to have an entrance right on Kipling. Underneath a bridge though. Seems like the Gardiner there lol. The design/look is very TTC. Glass & steel & concrete, no surprises there.

I was there and love the bus bay extension where it calls for an Artic's, yet TTC has none of them.

Talking to NFI personal today, TTC is not interested in having NFI supply the order for the artic's bus considering they were the only one to submit a tender. Nova is years off as well anything from Orion built in NA.

TTC is running around building things for Artic buses as well trying to deal with ridership issue, yet they are unwilling to comply with the RFP results. Talking to TTC personnel, I have the impression it is either Orion or nothing at all. Big mistake.

The extension is nothing to write home about.

Yet if they didn't build the artic bus bays and then had to build it later when we did have artics, I'm sure you'd be the very first person to criticize the TTC for not thinking ahead and build it when they were doing this project.

From my discussions, I don't think New Flyer is out of the question for artic purchases.

The new east entrance is a good idea but why did they leave out access to the Humberview and Fieldway lots?

Humberview has 200 spots and several housing developments are popping up on Fieldway.

Design is only at 10% but I hope they get it right

Construction of the east entrance is well underway:

Oct10-09005.jpg

Oct10-09006.jpg

Oct10-09007.jpg

Oct10-09007.jpg

Oct10-09009.jpg

Oct10-09012.jpg

I was just about to ask if construction had started here yet. Haven't visited this thread in a while. I guess the pictures answer my question.
There was a pdf file which had timelines for the construction I think, but the pdf file linked above doesn't work. The TTC seems to like to take down files or move them.

Thanks for the pics. This is one good thing the TTC is doing is improving our existing infrastructure. I live near Warden and Vic.P stations and VP is being modernized as well, they have already gotten rid of the old seperate bus bays and have building a shared platform that all the different routes will use, making it easier to transfer from bus to bus because it will all be on one level. Are they planning on getting rid of the separate bus bays at Kipling?

I always felt that the seperate bus bay design is a waste of space and they don't make it easy to transfer from bus to bus. I think the island type of platform, like Kennedy has, or the one level 'L' shaped platform VP station is constructing. They built a better platform at Eglinton Station as well, before I got here (I was still living in Vancouver), but the remnants of the old seperate bus bays still exist at that station.

I am originally from Montreal, but lived most of my life in Vancouver, and this is one thing I think the TTC does well is the design of SOME of it subway station, soon to be more with all this modernization happening. I really appreciate the island type of platforms for the bus loops at a lot of the stations, such as Kennedy and Scarborough Town Center Stations. I think if more of our transit is designed this way it will naturally increase ridership. I appreciate how the buses enter into a lot of the stations on the TTC routes. This didn't happen too much in Vancouver and this feature makes it quite more comfortable to make a transfer. Not only tranferring from bus to subway but it will be easier to tranfer from commuter rail as well.

I know it isn't perfect but it shows, with these modernization plans that the TTC invests a lot in its stations when designing stations. I know that Downtown you don't have a lot of room to design for the streetcars and buses to enter right into the station- though Union Station is planning on having a few more streetcar routes enter into that heavily used station.

One other thing about Kipling is that I am glad they are moving the Mississauga Transit routes from Islington to Kipling, it makes more sense to me for these MT commuters to enter the TTC system earlier to save wear and tear on our streets and improve the air quality a bit. I lied I want to say one other thing about Kipling and that is that I hope they still extend the line west to Sherway Gardens which would have three TTC bus routes servicing it and one (maybe more) MT buses using this terminus.

Kipling station does not have seperate bus bays. The buses stop on the north side of an island station. The south side is a ghost platform for an ICTS type rapid transit system potentially to the airport.

Islington is the station with seperate bus bays similar to the old Victoria Park station. This station is also slated for modernization which includes building a new island station north of the present bays. The old station will then be demolished.

As for an extension to Sherway gardens, it might be a reality in 30-40 years. :( Maybe after finishing the Spadina extension, Transit City, Yonge extension and Dowtown Relief Line.

Kipling station does not have seperate bus bays. The buses stop on the north side of an island station. The south side is a ghost platform for an ICTS type rapid transit system potentially to the airport.

Islington is the station with seperate bus bays similar to the old Victoria Park station. This station is also slated for modernization which includes building a new island station north of the present bays. The old station will then be demolished.

As for an extension to Sherway gardens, it might be a reality in 30-40 years. :( Maybe after finishing the Spadina extension, Transit City, Yonge extension and Dowtown Relief Line.

30-40 years? With the cost of construction going the way its going, we won't be building any subways in 30-40 years. Look what happened in NYC.

30-40 years? With the cost of construction going the way its going, we won't be building any subways in 30-40 years. Look what happened in NYC.

all the transit city lines are constructed with the hopes of converting them to subways if demand warranted. but according to your logic, construction costs will be too high to build them as subways and the plans will be scrapped!!

construction costs go up with inflation, i agree, but so will the money that is being invested in transit and infrastructure.

I'll use the nyc example that you brought up where a new subway line is being built(second avenue) and another one extended (line 7).....the Second Avenue Subway that is currently under construction in new york city is only 13.5 kilometers but costs 17 billion dollars!! that comes up to over 1.25 billion per kilometer but it's still being built. for reference, the per kilometer cost in Toronto is about 250 million dollars, a full 1 billion dollars less per kilometer than NYC subway!!

this just proves that demand brings about construction and not the pricetag. if the subway line was really beneficial then it probably will be built depending on the views of the Premier.

if the subway line was really beneficial then it probably will be built depending on the views of the Premier.
The Premier? Which Ontario Premier since Bill Davis has ever been strongly pro-subway for Toronto?

Transit City is Toronto's plan, not McGuinty's. His government is only deciding what to fund, not what the plan is.

Fan of Toronto, thanks for the correction, I haven't been at Kipling or Islington (or anything west of Bathurst) in four years. When I moved here, indirectly from Vancouver, I explored my new city, TO, via the TTC and I remembered the seperate bus bays at one of those stations- I just mixed it up. Glad still that these two western most stations are getting modernized though.

One other comment about Kipling is that I read that all of Mississauga Transit buses are going to be entering the TTC system via Kipling rather then Islington. Kipling has 11 connection bus routes presently and if they are going to get the MT buses as well that is about 10 more routes as well. This means that the MT riders are going to be getting on the subway at the same time as the commuters from the 11 TTC bus routes and that also means that the three remaing TTC bus routes that will service Islington Station will have to squeeze onto already full trains possibly. The only solution I see to this is have the subway extend west to Sherway Gardens and have most of those 11 TTC routes enter the subway at Sherway instead of Kipling. I am looking at any angle to get this extension happening and funded.

Fan of Toronto, thanks for the correction, I haven't been at Kipling or Islington (or anything west of Bathurst) in four years. When I moved here, indirectly from Vancouver, I explored my new city, TO, via the TTC and I remembered the seperate bus bays at one of those stations- I just mixed it up. Glad still that these two western most stations are getting modernized though.

One other comment about Kipling is that I read that all of Mississauga Transit buses are going to be entering the TTC system via Kipling rather then Islington. Kipling has 11 connection bus routes presently and if they are going to get the MT buses as well that is about 10 more routes as well. This means that the MT riders are going to be getting on the subway at the same time as the commuters from the 11 TTC bus routes and that also means that the three remaing TTC bus routes that will service Islington Station will have to squeeze onto already full trains possibly. The only solution I see to this is have the subway extend west to Sherway Gardens and have most of those 11 TTC routes enter the subway at Sherway instead of Kipling. I am looking at any angle to get this extension happening and funded.

I think the bus routes should be routed to whatever subway station is logical for them to serve. This includes MT and TTC. Whichever subway station gets them on the subway system quicker, that's the goal. Some MT and TTC routes would service Sherway, some Kipling, some Islington. No need to put them all in one place. That said, many MT routes would benefit from stopping at Kipling (since they drive right by it right now anyway) and an East Mall station would be even better. I believe in a Sherway extension, and it was on the RTES plan. With all the redevelopment going on around Sherway and near Etobicoke Centre, it would be a great time to do so.

Transit City is Toronto's plan, not McGuinty's. His government is only deciding what to fund, not what the plan is.

Read my post carefully, I've never said one way or the other. I brought up the Premier only because he gives the money. What I am saying is that if there was a good reason for an extension, then it will be built.

Back