Toronto Kipling Station Transit Hub | ?m | 2s | Metrolinx | SAI

It's simply a matter of the cost: not only to build for the extra height required to reach the roof, but then to tie it into an aging piece of infrastructure that has to cope with the vibration of heavy traffic above, expansion and contraction with the weather conditions, and having to deal with leeching road salt... it would all add up to significantly higher cost.

Were there a private developer with a new grand multi-use complex immediately east of the station who wanted to impress those arriving from the subway, I could see someone finding PPP dollars to fund a more expansive entrance, but without that extra money, it's utilitarian all the way!

It looks like the only things left to do are landscaping, roof over the 2 easterly bus bays and interior work (I can't really see if interior work is done or not).

With the so much of the work done and no progress on the canopy and new entrance doors I am starting to wonder if they aren't about to cheap out and put a normal bus shelter there and no new doors at all.

With the so much of the work done and no progress on the canopy and new entrance doors I am starting to wonder if they aren't about to cheap out and put a normal bus shelter there and no new doors at all.

I hope not, but that's probably what's going to happen. We'll see, since they haven't really started work in that area. They have to get rid of the driver's lounge (or something) there first to connect the new bridge to the station. The new bus bay does not have enough space for even a bus shelter so if the TTC cheaps out, that bay will be without a roof or a shelter.

If the eastern entrance/exit is opened before the bus bays are moved (assuming they will be moved), a traffic bottleneck will be created where the buses currently exit to St. Albans Rd. Cars/taxis entering the eastern entrance drop off parking lot combined with the buses leaving the station and the increasing traffic from all the new condos in the area will create gridlock on weekday mornings and evenings. Currently most of the traffic is on Subway Crescent which has easier access to Dundas.

Yet another example of a city project that seemingly can't get completed in a timely manner. The construction of this minor addition looks like it has been 90% complete since the summer, yet every time I drive by, which is fairly often, there's never anybody working on it. Why does the TTC fail so utterly hard at these things?

Attachments

• IMG_1110.jpg
    IMG_1110.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 320
  • IMG_1109.jpg
    IMG_1109.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 276
Construction delays are not the fault of the TTC here. The private contractor, who was chosen through the competitive bidding process, has been revising and extending the schedule despite TTC's best efforts to rein them in. I know it's really fashionable and cool these days to assume that TTC is always at fault for everything, but blanket statements like, "they don't care" are really not illuminating and, in some cases (granted, not all cases), not fair either. Blame where it is deserved, credit where due.

Don't hold me to this date as I have been given wrong info on this opening for sometime. If they work on Sunday, it could open.

Very little left to be done at the fare entrance with only one fare entrance to be install. This fare entrance was installed the last time I was out there. There a lot of framing laying on the floor and not sure where they are to go.

Signage still has to go up in the terminal for this entrance.

Does anyone remember the last time TTC clean the windows at this terminal as I don't? TTC brought in a window cleaning crew to clean the windows both inside and outside. The windows that have been clean look a hell a lot better than the past.

One has to wonder with the window cleaning that there will be a ribbon cutting event on the opening of the new entrance.

More photos up on my Flickr site tag Kipling Station, New East Entrance
6087545117_e2c91ba92c_b.jpg

6088092126_bb6cebc9f8_b.jpg

6088091664_b34132cc96_b.jpg

6088095168_114d3f9f4d_b.jpg

6088095466_b87a7f6f0c_b.jpg

I understand all the floor tiles had to be replace due to the fact they became a skating rink once wet. Who was the bright idea person to come up with these tiles in the first place, knowing they are on a ramp??:mad: Who picking up this extra cost??

It seams that someone order the wrong door for the door frames and it took a lot longer to get the correct ones.:confused:

TTC decided to change the gates and other item for the entrance for some unknown reason like they did to Victoria Park east entrance. VP entrance is still not open as of tonight visit and 3 months after Ellis Don turn it over to TTC.

On top of this, the contractor TTC hired to clean the windows from Niagara Falls went bankruptcy part way though the contract.

There needs to be some house cleaning in TTC tender department and the construction division.:mad:

I don't really care who is to blame. I just can't believe this thing is still not open yet. The condo across the street will be topped off before this thing opens. :confused:

The east entrance did not open this week, as there were software issues, as well a few other things.

A whole lot of TTC personnel on site, with a job site inspection taking place with the URS consultant.

Guild Electric was working on the turnstiles.

The project manager said they will be doing a power wash later in the day and fingers cross, it will open on Monday.

Not all the windows have been washed, with some of them in need of replacement. What has been clean looks a hell lot better.

Back