Toronto Karma Condos | 165.8m | 50s | Lifetime | a—A

A couple other observations:
  • Very high lobby to open visual connection and space to the historic building
  • Tower cuts back behind the historic building to allow open space above
  • Public open space on street hasn't yet been designed, but an area similar to the front of Casa is a possibility
  • 167.2m to top of the mechanical (planning report states 160.2 to top of roof)
  • Current zoning is 35 years old
  • Ground floor retail GFA was reduced 25% from initial proposal to create more open space around historic building
  • The height & density is certainly consistent with existing & approved built form in the area
  • Opportunities to animate St. Luke's lane through the development proposal
  • The community is generally very much opposed to the project
  • Shadows, height, density, laneway traffic, loading & parking were primary concerns raised by residents
  • Parking was a concern for the community(but newer buildings in the area have an oversupply of parking)

[*]Parking was a concern for the community(but newer buildings in the area have an oversupply of parking)
[/LIST]

but that oversupply isn't accessible to the public is it?
from the above comments, it appears resident are concerned about public access parking since this building will eliminate a parking lot, causing more people to park on the street illegally, etc

but that oversupply isn't accessible to the public is it?
from the above comments, it appears resident are concerned about public access parking since this building will eliminate a parking lot, causing more people to park on the street illegally, etc

Not exactly - the concern was that the applicant has proposed 129 parking spots and the local community thought that was far far too low a number and many stated that the residents in the proposed tower will just end up parking on the street illegally or in the lanes illegally - someone even suggested that the open space in front of the proposed tower would just end up being used for surface parking. The suggestion from the community was that the 129 proposed parking spots should be increased substantially.

The point about the Murano and Met having an over supply of parking is that in recent years the newer buildings going up have a demographic mix with fewer auto owners and fewer auto users and the lots in these two recently built towers have a surprisingly high number of empty parking spaces... this contrasts with the older buildings where most people that showed up at the public meeting live in that have an under supply of parking spots (I heard quotes of $160 to $175 a month to rent a spot at those buildings, whereas the Murano a spot can easily be obtained for $80 a month or less).

There certainly is pressure on publically available parking on the street with this lot proposed to be removed and the women's college hospital parking garage recently being taken down - but that is an issue that would be difficult to adequately address on this small site.

Last edited:
I used to live at 18 Grenville: the prospect of change probably has them in a serious tizzy, if my experience informs me of anything! The rooftop garden is lovely, and shadowing will have an impact of that. However, I would have preferred to look at a glass building rather than that parking lot and the back of Fran's restaurant. As to the loss of green space with Murano and this new development, I am confused - both spaces are and were paved and barren spaces, and the trees are sick city trees at best.

We are about to witness a new condo construction boom on this Yonge st north strech to Yorkville starting with Aura and this at 9 Grenville, Nicholas Residences, Five, Number One Bloor, Cumberland Terrace Re-development 1 and 2, 906 Yonge, 42 Charles, BSN-2, 501 Yonge Street, probably missed some and most likely some more proposals will come. It sure will change the face of our skyline forever.:)

Last edited:
thx to talkcondo for the tip, here's a rendering of the base: http://www.centrecourtdevelopments.com/developments.php# here's a screenshot:

centrecourtdev921grenvi.jpg

Back