Toronto Karma Condos | 165.8m | 50s | Lifetime | a—A

Casa meets Burano meets Theatre Park meets James Cooper Mansion. Sure, why not? It's certainly better than what is there.

thx to talkcondo for the tip, here's a rendering of the base: http://www.centrecourtdevelopments.com/developments.php# here's a screenshot:

centrecourtdev921grenvi.jpg

The base looks very promising! I'd really like to see the rest of it as well :)

Burano meets U Condos meets King Charlotte; JCM is a terrible design and a terrible comparison... Depending on Peter Street Condos demand--sounds like it's practically sold out--this project could launch sooner...this Summer?

and where did you get ANY of that from an image of the lobby ?

Please don't be blue or green glass. For the love of god please and I'll be satisfied!!! Spare me architects of Toronto, just this once?

I can already picture what it's going to look like. :( So predictable.

Glass colour has a lot to do with what the developer decides they want to spend. Green tinted glass typically means the least expensive option has been chosen, and seldom is the architect's choice.

Youre right Ic42..:)

Architects have also been stuck on one particular glass tint – seafoam green – because it is cheaper than clear glass or other tints.

Hahaha..everything you want to know about glass in this article..:cool:

Cracks in the city of glass
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/cracks-in-the-city-of-glass/article1990823/

Last edited:
From the above article:

But pressure from buyers, architects, planners, engineers and the public for more variety and less energy consumption is having an impact.

In Vancouver, architects have turned to bold splashes of colour. James Cheng's Spectrum building for Concord, with its large metal bars and frames in primary colours, was one of the first. Others nearby have incorporated big blocks of burnt orange or terracotta, blocks of red, or even bands of metal or stone.

Ultimately, though, the biggest driver of change is likely to be the building code.

Concord Pacific's Toronto buildings now are different from those built in the earliest phase, said senior vice-president Peter Webb. They used to be 65 per cent clear glass, 35 per cent spandrels (exterior sections usually of painted glass with insulation behind). Now it's 50-50, to meet new requirements in the national and provincial building codes.

[expletives deleted].

Last edited by a moderator:
An image from the recent community meeting of the building showing the fritted glass balconies.

21GrenvilleIMG_7578.jpg

From DCN.... and yes forget about the estimated price and the completion dates.

RESIDENTIAL, RETAIL BUILDING
Proj: 9128699-2
Toronto, Metro Toronto Reg ON
PREPARING PLANS
9-21 Grenville St, M4Y 1A1
$35,000,000 est
Start: March, 2012 Complete: June, 2013
Note:
Owner's representative is seeking city council site plan and rezoning approvals. A community consultation process is underway. Preliminary planning is ongoing. Sales and marketing are underway. Schedules for working drawings, tender for general contractor and construction will be finalized early 2012 based on sales. Further update early 2012.
Project:
proposed construction of a 49 to 52 storey mixed use building with retail and residential units. The project will have 356 residential dwelling units, with retail space on the first through third floors. The project will include five levels of below grade parking with 143 residential parking spaces. Demolition of existing buildings and relocation of an existing heritage house on the site will be included in this project.
Scope:
350,000 square feet; 52 storeys; 3 storeys below grade; 356 units; parking for 143 cars; 6 acres

http://dcnonl.com/cgi-bin/top10.pl?...7d7351e4bcba&projectid=9128699&region=ontario

Last edited:
It's starting to look *awfully* arbitrarily high-rise dense around there. Let's not give Edward Glaeser urban carte blanche, huh...

While I am open to questions about density, what exactly causes you to question this development, particularly in terms of its being arbitrary? A dense node centered on college/gerrard and Yonge/Bay/University seems anything but arbitrary. While I am a relative newcomer to Toronto and therefore am not well informed about planning issues in this area, College Park would seem entirely planned, while towers nearby would seem to make sense.

In my mind, three hubs will form around King, College and Bloor.

But perhaps I have missed the point entirely. Who is Edward Glaesser?

Back