Toronto James Cooper Mansion | ?m | 32s | Tridel | Burka

I haven't checked this thread in a while. The photos above just make me laugh - partly out of amazement, partly because of the surprise of seeing this and probably because of the drama I see in it. Moving the mansion onto the concrete slab then burrowing below has been a pretty impressive feat of engineering, kudos to Tridel and the talented people involved for getting this right and for managing to keep the old girl intact. Now when you look less than 1/4 mile south to 500 Sherbourne there's brick walls collapsing from the 30'ish floor of the building to the street. Quite a contrast in construction safety standards to my mind.

Please forgive me if this seems a bit off topic, but seeing the Cooper Mansion up on stilts reminds me of seeing the Promenades de la Cathedrale under construction underneath Montreal's Christ Church Cathedral on Ste-Catherine way back in 1988 (when I was 5 or 6 or 15 or 16 or something). Anyway, the pics are a bit the worse for wear now, but hopefully you'll get the idea. In this particular case the cathedral was not moved, other than marginally up, when the excavation then building was done underneath. It was absolutely amazing to see...

3704816650_81839f9ba0_o.jpg

3704007363_ee56402424_o.jpg

3704816856_ea2bbde5b3_o.jpg

James Cooper Mansion Construction End of July 2009

James Cooper Mansion's construction progress to the end of July 2009.

200907construction-1200.jpg

Scaffolding is up for the restoration of the mansion.

image1.jpg

Daily Commercial News

Going underground at James Cooper Mansion condos
August 19, 2009

100.jpg

WILLIAM CONWAY/PROGRESS PHOTOGRAPHY

Below-grade work is moving along on the James Cooper Mansion condominium project on Sherbourne St. in Toronto.

General contractor of the 32-storey project is Tridel Corp. and the condos will be connected to the heritage mansion by a glass podium. The refurbished mansion will be used for amenity space.

The project was designed by Burka Architects Inc. Consultants are: Goldsmith Borgal & Co. (historical); Sigmund Soudack & Associates Inc. (structural); Trace Engineering Ltd. (mechanical); M.V. Shore Associates (1993) Ltd. (electrical). Subcontractors include: Progreen Demolition; Laurie McCullouch Movers Ltd. (mansion relocation); Clifford Masonry & Restoration; Anpro Excavating & Grading Ltd.; Deep Foundations Contractors Inc.; Edvac Forming; Jay Electric Ltd; Sanet Mechanical Ltd.; and Toro Aluminum (glass/glazing).

September 20 2009 update

Northeast / Southeast / Southwest views of the heritage home

Seems like the underground portion of James Cooper Mansion is near complete as the ground floor slab is about to be poured over the P1 level parking garage :)

Click to Enlarge Thumbnails

sorry ... I think my monthly 10GB bandwidth limit on Photobucket was exceeded ... but this should now be resetted/cleared since my monthly cycle starts on the 21st (today!)

It's hard to tell from this angle, but the construction webcam seems to show that the project has hit ground level:

CnoyH.jpg

^^^ Look at that worker on the chimney! He can't possibly be safty-strapped on to anything! I'm getting dizzy just watching that! LOL

It'll be nice when it does get going above ground. I gave up passing by it to check its progress because there was no vantage point to see into the hole.

Went by last night and they're working on the second floor. Didn't have a camera, unfortunately and it was dark anyways. This will be one to watch in the coming year.

James Cooper Mansion Construction Photos Nov 2009

Four construction photos of progress on James Cooper Mansion

Looking east down the parking garage ramp

200911construction01-1200.jpg

200911construction03-1200.jpg

On the parking garage roof
200911construction02-1200.jpg

Parking garage roof preparing for the pour

200911construction04-1200.jpg

Great update Tridelwebmaster, thanks! I was at No Frills just south of there on Wednesday (it was already dark). I wondered what was happening over there, I haven't been there since sometime in August and there wasn't much to photograph so I made a mental note to go over yesterday, but it rained all day so it was a no go.
Now that this is at ground level we'll be watching and documenting more often as JCM moves forward.

Last edited:

Back