Toronto James Cooper Mansion | ?m | 32s | Tridel | Burka

march2509107.jpg

By torontovibe, shot with DSC-N1 at 2009-03-25

march2509108.jpg

march2509105.jpg

It's so strange to see that building so close to the sidewalk after seeing it sit way back for so many years. (but it's a good thing)

march2509109.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, this is quite an expenditure in these 'trying times.' I'm glad Tridel has the guts to go through with it. This pretty much confirms their reputation as one of, if not the, best builder in Toronto.

Excellent update Torontovibe. I often forget to walk this way to do photo updates.

May 3 Update

Shots from Sherbourne Street and Linden Street

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

With Verve, 500 Sherbourne and James Cooper Mansion on one side of Sherbourne and St. Jamestown on the other it's quite the contrast. I wonder what this neighbourhood will be like in 15 years.

Well with any luck, all the St. Jamestown buildings will be demo'd and replaced a la Regent Park at some point.

Demolishing St. James Town would be quite a waste from an environmental standpoint. The buildings are good candidates for renewal, and with better maintenance and aesthetic enhancements the high rise neighbourhood could become a mixed income neighbourhood without any drastic measures.

^Isn't most, if not all, of St. Jamestown in private hands? I don't think they could do a demolition sweep like they did at city owned Regent Park.

Besides, St. J isn't the decrepit hellhole it's usually portrayed as in the media. I know a few people who live there in fairly respectable apartments. An old coworker of mine even lauded the community aspect of it, and as a youth worker finds it easy to work and coordinate with the families who live there.

Hmmm... I wouldn't be quite THAT happy about St. J!

Besides, St. J isn't the decrepit hellhole it's usually portrayed as in the media. I know a few people who live there in fairly respectable apartments. An old coworker of mine even lauded the community aspect of it, and as a youth worker finds it easy to work and coordinate with the families who live there.

My daughters go to Sacre Coeur on Linden, and so have quite a few friends who live in St. J -- picking them up after a birthday party, you meet a LOT of sketchy characters. The druggies/dealers/gangster types are pretty prevalent.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back